Sunflower playhouse

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my mom helped my brother and I plant mammoth sunflowers in such a way that it created a type of "playhouse" when they grew. I think she got the idea in Family Fun magazine or something. It was so beautiful and really creative, and I would love to try it again when I get a bigger yard. Has anyone seen or heard of this? They get so tall that it works surprisingly well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds like great fun for kids! How were the sunflowers supported?

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember, Becky. I was pretty young. I remember us doing it, and I remember it growing, but I don't know all of the details. I will ask my mom next time I talk to her so that I can get the details.

Reaction score
I think they're amazing plants! They're like giant plants left over from the dinosaur era. I wonder what their history is like. They just seem so odd with how big they get. They are pretty, though. You wouldn't happen to have any old photos would you?

Reaction score
They are fascinating. I went and saw my mom today for Mother's Day, and I should have asked. I'm sure she has some pictures of it somewhere. We were so proud of it! It is pretty odd how big they get, but they are truly beautiful flowers.

Reaction score
The large sunflowers are beautiful and can be very sturdy. I can see how they could be used for shelter if supported by a trellis or two. They would make a very nice playhouse but you'd have to use some type of insecticide to keep it from being infiltrated by bugs and flying insects.

6a00d8341c647153ef0120a5302496970c-320wi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I think that there are at least two ways that you could make a playhouse. One would be to make kind of a teepee frame with small poles, and then plant the sunflowers around it, leaving one space open for the entrance. Then, as they grow, just pull the sunflowers toward the poles, and tie them to the stakes.
The other thing that would work, is to put up a section of fencing in a circle, again leaving an opening for the entrance, and then plant the sunflowers around the fence, as a support. You could easily do this with part of a roll of fencing and a few metal posts, and make it as small or large as you want it to be . It would not have a roof this way, but the inside would be hidden by the flowers. I looked online, and here is a picture of one. They made it similar to the fence idea, but also planted vining plants in between the sunflowers, so it filled in the gaps .
image.jpg

Reaction score
Sunflowers are the perfect plant for this. I never knew how great they were for the soil until after Katrina. The Sunflower Project came to town and planted sunflowers everywhere the kids would be playing like school and daycare playgrounds. They told us that because the ground was so polluted that it was unsafe but the sunflowers would help leach the toxins out of the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh how fun and beautiful! Though for children/people who are allergic to bees, the sunflower playhouse would not be a good idea to hand around.

Ask a Question