Struggling cat palm!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have two cat palms in my bedroom with plenty indirect light from the sky lights, are not over watered. I have a humidifier in the room and I must them once a day. Lots of new growth however even the new grown baby leafs are turning yellow/brown and completely dry out on the ends. Not sure what to do, please help

One plant is doing much better then the other. I had to cut off so many dead branches of the second one (I can see New stems peaking through)
It did have some spider mites but was treated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greeting, welcome to the Forums.

Please, post pictures as this can help with diagnosis.

You say they are not over-watered, but do double-check drainage conditions with the soil and containers.

Also, what sort of fertilizer do these plants receive?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Country
United States
How do the white containers drain after irrigation? Also, how dry do you let the palms get before irrigating again?

Cataract Palm (Chamaedorea cataractarum) is a small palm native to southern Mexico.
It does best in regularly watered, but well-drained, soil, and with bright, indirect light.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The pots inside have lots of drainage holes. I take them out of the white containers and place them on a saucer to water and leave them for a few hours to have the extra water drained
I usually wait about a week/ and a half to water them again. But I check the soil if the top couple inches is dry I water. I see some roots poking through at the top, maybe it needs a bigger pot?
I’m new to plant care
Thank you also for helping!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Overall, it sounds like your plants; care regiment is fine, still something is not quite perfect, or at least it was not at one point in time.

In Winter, many houseplants can occasionally suffer from low light levels, cold drafts, and either excessive dampness or dryness, sometimes all of the above in quick succession. It sounds like you have considered all of these factors, but it is always possible that something unseen is happening or just happened once during a single cold night.

Keep observing the plants and their light and soil moisture; making slight changes when you feel they are needed.
You have cut off the damaged growth, and the plants look alright. Hopefully with the coming of Spring, the plants will put out a flush of new growth. It is a common pattern for houseplants to suffer some decline in Winter and a renaissance in Summer. We do what we can to minimize damage in the cold season, and to maximize flourishing growth in the warm season, so that the plants will be able to better maintain during the next Winter.

Ask a Question