Struggling Dracaena

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all,

Another advice/help thread! As with a number of plants I have inherited, I have (what I believe to be) a dracaena that is struggling. My understanding is that this one is a child lopped off from a bigger plant some time ago, and it has since started to struggle. Several of the leaves are exhibiting some strange discolouration (notably on one side), while the newest "baby leaf" at the top seems to have died as it was growing out. The plant was living in the corner of a medium-light room, so my immediate reaction was that the discolouration was from the sides in the corner, struggling to find light. Not sure if this is sufficient to cause the newly-grown/growing leaf to die, however. My understanding is that these plants need a good amount of light to thrive, but thought it was getting enough. Any thoughts would be most welcome as I try to save her!

Pictures below for reference - please forgive the mess.

Thanks very much in advance!

IMG_4644.JPEG

IMG_4645.JPEG

IMG_4646.JPEG

IMG_4647.JPEG

IMG_4648.JPEG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How long ago was it started as a cutting?
How long has it been in that location?
Has it been closer to a window recently?
Have you used a leaf polish on it?
Have you used an oil-based insect control?
It looks like it has been sunburned or a burn from an oil-based leaf-shine or pest control.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there drainage holes on that pot?

I hope it does, but if so, do be careful about the finish on your wood table.

If it does not, then repotting is the first order of business.

I won't repeat all the drainage advice I mentioned on your Epipremnum aureum thread, but it applies the same to your Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'.

By the way, if you like that pot, it is often possible to tap, scratch or drill drainage holes in ceramic. I can't guarantee that their won't be breakage, but after you;ve done it a number of times, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your success rate.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How long ago was it started as a cutting?
How long has it been in that location?
Has it been closer to a window recently?
Have you used a leaf polish on it?
Have you used an oil-based insect control?
It looks like it has been sunburned or a burn from an oil-based leaf-shine or pest control.

Started as a cutting I believe over a year ago.

It was moved from a high-light location beside a window about two weeks ago. It was doing fine then. It started struggling in the lower-light conditions.

No leaf polish or insect control has been used.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Are there drainage holes on that pot?

I hope it does, but if so, do be careful about the finish on your wood table.

If it does not, then repotting is the first order of business.

I won't repeat all the drainage advice I mentioned on your Epipremnum aureum thread, but it applies the same to your Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'.

By the way, if you like that pot, it is often possible to tap, scratch or drill drainage holes in ceramic. I can't guarantee that their won't be breakage, but after you;ve done it a number of times, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your success rate.

There are no drainage holes - this is definitely a priority (planning on addressing a bunch of re-pot needs this weekend). Points well noted re: drainage :)

I was thinking about re-potting a drainable pot within this existing pot (i.e. a plastic liner pot), that way I can keep the decorative pot on surfaces such as the table (or similar) while still ensuring drainage within the actual soil - my plan was to keep the draining pot elevated off the bottom of the decorative pot by ~1", using some form of substrate or material similar. I definitely plan on drilling into a couple other ceramic pots though, so will be looking into my options there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I looked closer at your location and I wonder if it might have been a little too close to the window and got frosted. The two bigger leaves look like that could be possible. I think the newest leaf got sunburned.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I looked closer at your location and I wonder if it might have been a little too close to the window and got frosted. The two bigger leaves look like that could be possible. I think the newest leaf got sunburned.
I should have clarified - the location in the photos was just to get better pictures - the plant itself was actually sitting in the corner of the room on top of the speaker visible in the bottom right of the first picture - not getting any direct light from the window - only indirect light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah Ha! That makes more sense. A watering issue usually shows up as an all-over or specific location (old leaves/new leaves) rather than part of the middle and part of another location. Trim off any damaged tissue and it should be fine, as long as you keep it away from the heater. ;)

Ask a Question