String gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My mother is big on growing stuff, though usually just herbs and veggies. I think I will definitely try to make the mother's day one for her new home. Then again, her cats might try and mess with it. That would not be a good thing!

@Maddie, bummer! But at least you figured out how to upload!

@Claudine, they don't need a heck of a lot of light, but they do need some.

Reaction score
Rather surreal looking but I can see them in homes that like simplicity but elegance. The only thing I ever grew sort of on a string was that upside tomato. These are so beautiful I need to pass these on to some friends who say they can't grow anything. Not that I think these are easy, but they are so unusual, I don't think even my friends would forget to water or care for them. Great post.

Reaction score
Wow, these are really beautiful.

Probably too advanced for both by gardening and my decorating skills, but stunning nonetheless.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I never did make one of these, but I think one key point is a soil mix that retains moisture well. Another option would be to include a watering tube to allow you to add small amounts of water to the plant ball without having to take it down and soak it. Then you could just water maybe once per week and then mist daily or periodically as needed.

Reaction score
Well these string gardens are looking really strange because I never see any string garden before but I like the idea of this kind of gardening because those who don't have a place for gardening they can simply use this kind of gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, it's a good option for those who don't have room for a garden, as long as the right environmental conditions can be met. String gardening can also be used indoor for fruit producing plants, so it can be very beneficial for someone who otherwise might not be able to have an outdoor garden in a yard.

Reaction score
This is just amazing! No dubt the more I stick around here the more I learn! Wow! I swear I hadn't even thought something like this would be possible :eek: I mean... string gardens...!? I can now say I have ctually seen everything concerning to unusual gardening ideas and decoration :confused::eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is just amazing! No dubt the more I stick around here the more I learn! Wow! I swear I hadn't even thought something like this would be possible :eek: I mean... string gardens...!? I can now say I have ctually seen everything concerning to unusual gardening ideas and decoration :confused::eek:

Ha! Be careful throwing around statements like "I have seen everything..." Some of the stuff out there is unbelievable! People are so innovative and creative -- I've seen images of potatoes growing upside down indoors in the dark because it wasn't feasible to grow them underground... rice grown in a "field" of 5 gallon buckets...

Reaction score
It was just an expression to show how surprised I was ;) I had never heard of such a thing, to be honest. I could have imagined something in the past, lol, but I never thought it would be feasible. Whoever came up with this is a really creative person! I could see this being used in the future... once the erosion to our soils becomes an even bigger problem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It was just an expression to show how surprised I was ;) I had never heard of such a thing, to be honest. I could have imagined something in the past, lol, but I never thought it would be feasible. Whoever came up with this is a really creative person! I could see this being used in the future... once the erosion to our soils becomes an even bigger problem.

I think the origin is Japanese. If more people would compost their organic waste, there would be less of a soil issue. It's easy to fill a bin with kitchen scraps in no time and adding in dried leaves, cardboard tubes from tp and paper towel rolls keeps stuff out of the landfills and adds needed carbon to healthy soil that not only feeds plants, but helps to keep them healthy.

Reaction score
Japanese people never cease to amaze me, they always come up with the craziest and most innovative ideas, just like this one :D By the way, I agree with you, people should compost more! That way there wouldn't be so much waste and our soils would be healthier. I actually plan to compost in the future, once I move and get an actual garden to work with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I didn't know that it's a Japanese idea. This information doesn't surprise me though, people from that country seem to be very creative. I even found a picture of a bonsai tree growing in a string garden:

fedor-van-der-valk-string-gardens-3.jpg

It's lovely, isn't it?:)

Reaction score
All of the pictures look really amazing. I have not heard of something like this until now. I do hope that I get to try it in the future. It would be nice to have the plants hanging around and just be able to pick from them! I am sure it must look like the plants are possessed or something if you walk into the room and you aren't expecting it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Here's a bit more information on string gardens. Apparently the idea originated from the bonsai tradition. Not surprising since the plants suspended in a string garden look at lot like bonsai. Based on this article, I think it would be possible to form the ball for Kokedama without suspending it from string. Here's a link:
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/japanese-gardening-inspiration-kokedama-170573

Ask a Question