String gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have recently discovered string gardens and now I want to try to grow something of my own suspended from string. They are so cool, and I just saw an image of a citrus plant (see below) grown indoors suspended from string. Wouldn't it be awesome to pick an orange from your kitchen?

1_img2263.jpg

1411hanging1.jpg

1-76166.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I absolutely love the second picture!!!:D It looks like a room in a lovely fairy tale - and it looks so unique. I want something like this. But how can you water these plants? I'm afraid it's impossible without wetting the floor:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You mist it, I believe, though occasionally it will need a real watering. When it's time to water the plant, you take it down and soak it in a bowl for a few minutes. Then you let it drain and hang it back up.

Jed

Reaction score
This reminds me of something I did years ago and could be used in one of these types of gardens.
I grew a piece sweet potato in a glass jar. It barely touched the water but was enough to send roots down. When it sprouted it sent vines in all directions which were suspended using string over a sunny window.
If you suspended something like this or another type of vine in a macrame of string it should look rather good.

images

Reaction score
Chanell, this is an interesting concept. Wow look at the ;lemons on the plant.. how did it manage to be so healthy....where does it gets its nutrition from... ?
Time to do some home work I guess..
@ jed and that sweet potato did you get anything out of it?

This is neat!

Jed

Reaction score
@ jed and that sweet potato did you get anything out of it?

The idea is to grow an inside vine. It grows quite fast and you train it to follow string in all directions. No potatoes are grown only the lovely vine.
Easy to do when the weather is warm.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for the video Maddie!

@Claudine, I think you've figured out a way for me to start my fernery! That last photo is an inspiration! Actually, if I thought there was enough light, I'd do something like that middle one in my bathroom!

@Jed If I am not mistaken, had you cut those vines off the potato and put them in water they would have made new plants and possibly even grown potatoes!

Oh, I almost forgot! Here is a link to info on making one as a gift for mother's day; there is also info on making a mini terrarium necklace. http://inhabitat.com/6-delightful-diy-mothers-day-gifts-to-make-for-your-mum/

Reaction score
Inspirational.. I am going to start my fernery right away... sounds like a lovely idea... but the water dripping from it may be a huge problem... I need to tackle that before I get started...
@ Chanell, And how do ya copy paste the pics... I tried it and it just doesn't seem to work... LOL Forgive me sometimes I can be real dumb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Inspirational.. I am going to start my fernery right away... sounds like a lovely idea... but the water dripping from it may be a huge problem... I need to tackle that before I get started...
@ Chanell, And how do ya copy paste the pics... I tried it and it just doesn't seem to work... LOL Forgive me sometimes I can be real dumb.

string-garden-diy-mothers--537x364.jpg

I positioned the cursor over the image above, right-clicked, selected copy image from the drop-down menu, then came back here and pasted it here.

I think if you mist them regularly there shouldn't be that much moisture, but you will just have to take them down periodically and give them a good soaking. The layers of moss, etc. help hold the moisture, but keep it from dripping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@Claudine, I think you've figured out a way for me to start my fernery! That last photo is an inspiration! Actually, if I thought there was enough light, I'd do something like that middle one in my bathroom!

I think it would look wonderful! But do ferns need so much light? Mine always grow in the shadow.
String gardens look so magical!

string-gardens.jpg

string7.jpg

Reaction score
These are such inspiring pictures... Lol I am drooling over them... does anyone know what these flowers are? They look so delicate and pretty.

@ chanell The copy paste doesn't work unless you paste from somewhere online... I just realized that there is an option to upload file... I wonder how I didn't see it so far...

Reaction score
I think that the root ball on the plants are covered in peat moss, which is really absorbent. There is probably some kind of net surrounding the roots and peat to keep it in one piece. You can probably dunk the roots in a bucket for a few minutes and the peat will absorb a lot of moisture that will sustain the plant for a couple of weeks. Like ChanellG said, you can mist it to keep the outside from drying out in between watering times.

Ask a Question