String trimmer - torque

Reaction score
Country
United States
Echo sells "T" versions of many of their string trimmers. They use lower gearing (numerically higher) so the head spins at a lower speed relative to engine RPM. Since they use 2-stroke engines, the engine is running at a higher speed for a given head speed, resulting in higher torque.

My old one (32 years!) has seen its final days, so I need a new one. I use it for cutting very tough grasses -- 4-5 feet tall, 1/4" diameter stems. It's called "Coastal Sedge." I'm in Northern California. I do not have lawn, so I do not use my string trimmer for actual "trimming." It's truly a "weed whacker."

Should I pay the additional $30 ($350 vs $320 for regular) to get the "high torque" version? BTW, I consider it a bit nasty that they would charge more for just a different set of gears, which I am sure cost exactly the same amount to them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would go for it. In a year you won't remember what you paid but if you don't get it you will remember that you could have.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@mgmine, Thank you for your comment. You reminded me of what I try to do when I'm facing a problem. I try to recall the "huge problems" I was facing six months ago. Very rare that I can even recall one. :)

Since posting my question, I have learned that the high torque gearing head is heftier. I haven't heard any downsides to the 20% (2.0 vs 1.6 gear ratio) slower speed. I guess the faster speed allows one to work faster when trimming shorter growth, like lawn grasses. But when I'm in lighter grasses, I don't run my current whacker at full speed, so I'm not sure what the downside of the slower speed is.

Clara

Clara
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Did you ever buy the Echo? I'm in a similar situation and I can't decide whether to buy an Echo or one of those modern-looking models that EGO Power has out. A salesman over at Home Depot told me that I wouldn't be lacking power with the EGO, and I know some reviewers will attest to that, but the Echo looked and felt much sturdier. I'm just asking Echo owners what their experience has been to get an idea. Hope I get a reply, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question