Stopping a citrus tree from fruiting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks again for taking the time to read another one of my posts.

My question is "Is there any methods widely used to prevent citrus from flowering without the use of chemicals" ?

Some Background:
I have a (sweet) Kumquat tree which is several years old. Not sure exactly what age but I'd say about 4 or 5. The Kumquat tree is an indoor container potted tree which receives about 12 hours of light per day (grow lights). In the past month or two, the Kumquat tree has been fruiting like crazy! I've personally hand-discarded at least a hundred flowers since then.

The flowers seem to keep coming by the dozens. I pluck one, two more grow back. I pluck two, and now a cluster of them are in that same spot, all over the tree. It seems the more I pluck, the more flowers that show up. I've also VERY LIGTHLY pruned it. Probably not even enough for the tree to really respond though. Just a few tips.

I want to hold back on fruiting until next growing season so that the tree puts on as much foliage and branches as possible. What can I do to prevent the flowers; again, without use of chemicals?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lower the temperature, keep it below 80f.
There may also be effects from your grow light.
I'm not an expert on this, but I believe you would want only blue light?
Thanks!

I too was beginning to think the lighting plays a role in it. Afterall, they started fruiting after I added 4 grow lights in addition to the one it was already on plus sunshine from a window (about 4hrs worth). And yeah, my room temp is around 80 F for most of the day (while at work).

Will using more blue lighting possibly reduce fruiting without hindering foliage growth ?

Ask a Question