Stopping my dog from eating my house plants...

Reaction score
Is the only way to stop a dog from eating plants to put them at a height the dog cannot get too? My dog loves playing with, eating and destroying my small palm I have in my living room..and I just can't get her to leave it alone. I"ve had to move all my shoes from the floor because she was using them as chew toys while I wasn't home...now im wondering if I have to keep the plants out of her way...gosh...and they say having a dog is easier than having children -_- Any and all advice welcome :)

Reaction score
That is a good question. I think you're going to have a hard time with it. I would just put them up high where she can't get to them. Making a loud sound (like stomping on the floor, clapping really loudly or yelling "No") every time that she does it will help, but I don't think that is going to prevent her from messing with them when you're sleeping or gone.

Reaction score
That is what I was afraid of. She is only but 2 years old and very playful and curious about everything. And although she has stopped messing with it in my presence, when I come home and find leaves all over I know she been rough housing with it. Then it makes me feel bad because I literally have a sentimental place in my heart for my plants :(

Reaction score
There's some sort of apple vinegar or something like that you can spray to keep dogs away from things. It's the same stuff people use to stop dogs from chewing furniture, eating cat poo, etc...I can't remember exactly what it's called, but it's apple-something. Hopefully someone here will know what I'm referring to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I guess I'm fortunate, because my dog has never tried to play with my plants. He ignores them completely. I wish I could help you, Warmweatherwoman, but I know how stubborn our four legged friends can be;) I'm afraid that the only solution is to put the palm somewhere where your dog won't be able to reach.

Ask a Question