Trying to grow citrus trees from seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I tried to germinate some lemon and orange seeds and got them to sprout, looked up how to plan them and started them out in pots about 5-6" wide/deep and some plastic solo cups. All of them have had great growth so far, but I know nothing about caring got citrus trees or growing them in containers. This is what I have so far.

1518034633445539834746.jpg

Orange tree:

1518034833266-2033876084.jpg

Orange tree

1518034882787-1565057766.jpg

What I believe to be a polyamorous orange tree

1518034794705-1845125492.jpg

And a lemon tree

Planted (all germinated) seeds January 24th

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are very easy to raise from seeds. Make sure you have ericaceous compost as they need a more acidic soil and use rain water. Well done! But it will be a long time before your kids can see the reward.

You can try salad leaves and you should have harvest very soon. Very nice of you to introduce your kids to gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
They are very easy to raise from seeds. Make sure you have ericaceous compost as they need a more acidic soil and use rain water. Well done! But it will be a long time before your kids can see the reward.

You can try salad leaves and you should have harvest very soon. Very nice of you to introduce your kids to gardening.

I did explain they could be in high school or even college before the trees fruit but I think they just want to see if they can do it. I'm pretty curious myself. As for ericaceous compost.. Where would I go to buy something Like that? Or is it a compost I could accumulate with kitchen scraps? Right now I have them in regular potting mix (as well as everything else).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States

And we have started some black seeded simpson lettuce. The seedlings have sprouted in red solo cups but I'm not sure where to go from here

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
coffee grinds, pine needles .. rain water... not a lot. But they will grow. After they have another pair of leaves, pinch the top one off to encourage bushy growth.

You need to have compost for the seedlings to grow properly and I am sure @marlingardener and @Silentrunning and others will fill you in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Kpsupermom, your seedlings look great. Nice dark green color and well formed. Since you are growing them from seed and probably not going to graft them, the fruit is going to be less than flavorful. In fact it will probably have real pucker power. :sick: Don't let that discourage you though. This will be a great learning experience for the children. After the trees get a little larger you may even get courageous and try grafting them yourself. There are several how to's on YouTube. Good luck.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here's a video about growing lettuce in container

Ask a Question