Trying gardening this year

Discussion in 'Vegetables' started by Jamie Calloway, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Jamie Calloway

Jamie Calloway Fruitalicious

Thought I would start a post for my new upcoming garden. I plan on planting salad stuff first tomatoes, peppers, onions, potatoes, corn etc.. I have never done this before so if i can get 1/4 of a yield I'll be pretty happy. My garden is about a 1/2 acre but I am going to start small maybe 10 x 20. My plan is to extend it a little every year (or maybe quite all together, we will see). I just purchased a disk harrow to pull behind the cub cadet, I broke ground a week ago. The garden already has irrigation run to it, and the soil looks really good. I have been composting now for about 2 months. I will post some pictures of the process this weekend as I am planning on disking it up soon.

Jamie Calloway, Mar 24, 2017
    Beverly and Larisa like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Jamie Calloway

Larisa

Beginners in gardening often get a good harvest. Because they responsibly take up the case and follow all the rules. You just have to see how it works in the conditions of your garden. I remember how surprised I was when I collected my first harvest. I could not believe that I had such a good harvest. Good luck!

Larisa, Mar 24, 2017
    MaryMary and Beverly like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Jamie Calloway

Beverly

Another thing about new gardens is the insects that might want to eat your tomatoes before you do, don't know the garden is there yet so i am wishing you a bumper crop. I think it is wise to start small and gradually add more territory. Georgia has such a wonderful climate for growing things. Look forward to seeing your progress and welcome to the forums. Don't hesitate to ask questions along the way.:)

Beverly, Mar 24, 2017
  4. Jamie Calloway

headfullofbees

Welcome.
    The biggest mistake most new gardeners make is overwatering.

headfullofbees, Mar 24, 2017
    MaryMary, Becky and Beverly like this.
  5. Jamie Calloway

Great suggestions, I am going to hook up a sprinkler to a timer I figure 30 minutes in the early morning and again late evening. I think the chipmunk and squirrels are going to be trouble. I don't have high expectations but maybe it will produce

6. Jamie Calloway

Oh I am also starting a small raised herb garden, grandma will tend to that.

nhraziano7 likes this.
  7. Jamie Calloway

Tetters

Good idea to start small and then expand. It will be by making a few mistakes that you will learn most. It doesn`t matter how much we know, there is always more to learn. Experiment with your plants....they will let you know what they need.

Tetters, Mar 24, 2017
  8. Jamie Calloway

Thought I would give a quick update on the garden in process, I hoped to be planting right now but it looks like I'm going to be a weekend or 2 behind. Here are a couple of pictures from beginning to where I am right now.
    I wish I would have taken a picture before I got started the garden was completely grown over for lots of saplings, briars, weeds and roots as big as my leg. 0329171044.jpg 0402171240a.jpg

Jamie Calloway, Apr 2, 2017
    Beth_B and Beverly like this.
  9. Jamie Calloway

CrazyConure

Watering twice a day is too much. You'll only need to water them about once a week.

CrazyConure, Apr 2, 2017
  10. Jamie Calloway

Beverly

Looking good Jamie...the soil looks good. When the garden is first starting up, and you have seeds or seedlings planted they will need more water than once a week. Once a week would not be frequent enough for seeds and seedlings. Once the garden starts to mature you will need to water less, but seeds and seedlings will want to be kept moist until they mature some, not soggy, but damp.until they put down some roots :)

Beverly, Apr 3, 2017
  11. Jamie Calloway

Got it, Mrs. Beverly, and thank you, more to come later

Jamie Calloway, Apr 3, 2017
    Beverly likes this.
  12. Jamie Calloway

headfullofbees

Unfortunately, I think you'll have problems.
    How deep have you tilled and cleared?
    A superficial look suggests not very deeply, and I'm concerned about the roots of these trees sucking up the water and nutrients from the soil; they are indigenous and at a big advantage over introduced plants.
    How much shadow is produced?

I'd suggest raised beds for starters.

headfullofbees, Apr 3, 2017
  13. Jamie Calloway

roadrunner

I would dig up some of those ramps in your lawn and transplant them into your garden....seriously.

roadrunner, Apr 3, 2017
  14. Jamie Calloway

I have plowed down about 12 inches, I have pulled up roots for a month. Running through the garden with my plow, now I am,not hitting any. I am positive there are more roots deeper down but I am to invested now to start a raised bed.
    What would the wild onions do for the garden? Or were you just pulling my leg

Jamie Calloway, Apr 3, 2017
  15. Jamie Calloway

headfullofbees

headfullofbees, Apr 4, 2017
  16. Jamie Calloway

roadrunner

Well, first thing is to positively ID them, but if they are Ramps (or some other edible wild onion), it makes a good salad ingredient, as well as an addition to many other dishes, see here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/24/what-are-ramps_n_7128438.html

If it's not Ramps, there's still a good chance it's edible, actually most of what we consider weeds are actually edible. Two of my favorite edible plants I find in my yard are Pink Wood Sorrel, especially the flowers, which are packed with flavor, much more than just the leaves and Purslane, See here:

roadrunner, Apr 4, 2017
    Beth_B likes this.
  17. Jamie Calloway

Great information, I knew this website would be great for me as a begginer. Thank you guys so much for the articles. I am planning on double digging the garden this weekend and I will do some more research on the Ramp. I have tasted the wild onion and it tastes just like a regular onion just more pungent. I'll keep you posted on the progress, I know tomorrow I will be limbing some trees that are casting shadows over the garden, that should be fun.

Jamie Calloway, Apr 4, 2017
  18. Jamie Calloway

headfullofbees

Burn the limbs for woodash; excellent limer, fertiliser and slug deterrent.

The problem with wild plants is that, since they are indigenous, they can be invasive.
    I'd clear them from my veg plot and grow them in pots to restrict them, if you want them.

headfullofbees, Apr 5, 2017
  19. Jamie Calloway

roadrunner

Another option for sticks/logs is to bury. It's called a hugelkultur (German word)

roadrunner, Apr 5, 2017
  20. Jamie Calloway

Update on the garden,
    Well the garden is now full of seeds and being watered every 12 hours. So Saturday I finally received all of my seeds from Burpee, and I was very excited to get them in the ground. So I thought I would let you guys know what I put in the ground. First I planted 50 ears of sweet corn in 4 different rows, seeds were about 10 inches apart and separated into a 4 row block due to the need of wind pollination. I also did 10 broccoli, 10 lettuce, 10 cauliflower, 20 sweet peppers, 10 bush beans, 10 creol red onions, 12 Rutgers tomatoes, 12 pink hybrid tomatoes, 60 carrots. I had cuccumbers and had every intention of planting them but somehow they got skipped so my plan is to lot plant them with tomatoe cages. It has been a lot of fun putting this all together and a lot of work. I know the 4 legged criters will get some of my crop but I hope to keep it to a minimum. Thank you all for the great information and tips. I am expecting to have some small buds in 2 weeks. More later

Jamie Calloway, Apr 11, 2017
    Larisa and Becky like this.
    1. Advertisements