Trying gardening this year

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thought I would start a post for my new upcoming garden. I plan on planting salad stuff first tomatoes, peppers, onions, potatoes, corn etc.. I have never done this before so if i can get 1/4 of a yield I'll be pretty happy. My garden is about a 1/2 acre but I am going to start small maybe 10 x 20. My plan is to extend it a little every year (or maybe quite all together, we will see). I just purchased a disk harrow to pull behind the cub cadet, I broke ground a week ago. The garden already has irrigation run to it, and the soil looks really good. I have been composting now for about 2 months. I will post some pictures of the process this weekend as I am planning on disking it up soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Beginners in gardening often get a good harvest. Because they responsibly take up the case and follow all the rules. You just have to see how it works in the conditions of your garden. I remember how surprised I was when I collected my first harvest. I could not believe that I had such a good harvest. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Another thing about new gardens is the insects that might want to eat your tomatoes before you do, don't know the garden is there yet so i am wishing you a bumper crop. I think it is wise to start small and gradually add more territory. Georgia has such a wonderful climate for growing things. Look forward to seeing your progress and welcome to the forums. Don't hesitate to ask questions along the way.:)

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great suggestions, I am going to hook up a sprinkler to a timer I figure 30 minutes in the early morning and again late evening. I think the chipmunk and squirrels are going to be trouble. I don't have high expectations but maybe it will produce

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good idea to start small and then expand. It will be by making a few mistakes that you will learn most. It doesn`t matter how much we know, there is always more to learn. Experiment with your plants....they will let you know what they need.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thought I would give a quick update on the garden in process, I hoped to be planting right now but it looks like I'm going to be a weekend or 2 behind. Here are a couple of pictures from beginning to where I am right now.
I wish I would have taken a picture before I got started the garden was completely grown over for lots of saplings, briars, weeds and roots as big as my leg.
0329171044.jpg
0402171240a.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Looking good Jamie...the soil looks good. When the garden is first starting up, and you have seeds or seedlings planted they will need more water than once a week. Once a week would not be frequent enough for seeds and seedlings. Once the garden starts to mature you will need to water less, but seeds and seedlings will want to be kept moist until they mature some, not soggy, but damp.until they put down some roots :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, I think you'll have problems.
How deep have you tilled and cleared?
A superficial look suggests not very deeply, and I'm concerned about the roots of these trees sucking up the water and nutrients from the soil; they are indigenous and at a big advantage over introduced plants.
How much shadow is produced?

I'd suggest raised beds for starters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thought I would start a post for my new upcoming garden. I plan on planting salad stuff first tomatoes, peppers, onions, potatoes, corn etc.. I have never done this before so if i can get 1/4 of a yield I'll be pretty happy. My garden is about a 1/2 acre but I am going to start small maybe 10 x 20. My plan is to extend it a little every year (or maybe quite all together, we will see). I just purchased a disk harrow to pull behind the cub cadet, I broke ground a week ago. The garden already has irrigation run to it, and the soil looks really good. I have been composting now for about 2 months. I will post some pictures of the process this weekend as I am planning on disking it up soon.
I would dig up some of those ramps in your lawn and transplant them into your garden....seriously.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have plowed down about 12 inches, I have pulled up roots for a month. Running through the garden with my plow, now I am,not hitting any. I am positive there are more roots deeper down but I am to invested now to start a raised bed.
What would the wild onions do for the garden? Or were you just pulling my leg

Ask a Question