Trying gardening this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have plowed down about 12 inches, I have pulled up roots for a month. Running through the garden with my plow, now I am,not hitting any. I am positive there are more roots deeper down but I am to invested now to start a raised bed.
What would the wild onions do for the garden? Or were you just pulling my leg
Well, first thing is to positively ID them, but if they are Ramps (or some other edible wild onion), it makes a good salad ingredient, as well as an addition to many other dishes, see here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/24/what-are-ramps_n_7128438.html

If it's not Ramps, there's still a good chance it's edible, actually most of what we consider weeds are actually edible. Two of my favorite edible plants I find in my yard are Pink Wood Sorrel, especially the flowers, which are packed with flavor, much more than just the leaves and Purslane, See here:

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Great information, I knew this website would be great for me as a begginer. Thank you guys so much for the articles. I am planning on double digging the garden this weekend and I will do some more research on the Ramp. I have tasted the wild onion and it tastes just like a regular onion just more pungent. I'll keep you posted on the progress, I know tomorrow I will be limbing some trees that are casting shadows over the garden, that should be fun.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Burn the limbs for woodash; excellent limer, fertiliser and slug deterrent.

The problem with wild plants is that, since they are indigenous, they can be invasive.
I'd clear them from my veg plot and grow them in pots to restrict them, if you want them.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Update on the garden,
Well the garden is now full of seeds and being watered every 12 hours. So Saturday I finally received all of my seeds from Burpee, and I was very excited to get them in the ground. So I thought I would let you guys know what I put in the ground. First I planted 50 ears of sweet corn in 4 different rows, seeds were about 10 inches apart and separated into a 4 row block due to the need of wind pollination. I also did 10 broccoli, 10 lettuce, 10 cauliflower, 20 sweet peppers, 10 bush beans, 10 creol red onions, 12 Rutgers tomatoes, 12 pink hybrid tomatoes, 60 carrots. I had cuccumbers and had every intention of planting them but somehow they got skipped so my plan is to lot plant them with tomatoe cages. It has been a lot of fun putting this all together and a lot of work. I know the 4 legged criters will get some of my crop but I hope to keep it to a minimum. Thank you all for the great information and tips. I am expecting to have some small buds in 2 weeks. More later

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have tiny little veggies popping up.
My cup overfilith, I am so excited to post a updated picture of the garden. So as posted before I had all my seeds put in the ground in April 10th I figured it would be at least 14 days before I would see anything but low and behold it's April 19th and I have some veggies breaking the ground.
The first picture is a few bush beans and the second picture is sweet corn.

0419171819.jpg
0419171818.jpg

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well pictures didn't come out right the first picture is corn second picture is bush beans

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Congratulations @Jamie Calloway on your garden and your orchard(y) Wonderful that @Larisa was able to help you with the trees. It really is thrilling to see buds coming out and garden starting to come up:D

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, Larisa has been a huge help and I am very grateful to everyone in here. I gues now the battle really begins, trying to keep the 4 legged critters off of my plants is going to be tough im sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
In my experience, the first year is the least buggy because the predators don't know your garden is here yet. Still it is good to be prepared. You can find some very good, reliable, and organic ways to deal with just about any pest in the forums here. I hope you are thinking organic. Some people have a tendency to panic at the sight of a pest and run for the poison, but it is not necessary and not necessarily the best way to treat the problem. You would be amazed how many critters can be treated effectively with a little liquid dish soap sudsy water and a spray bottle:)

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Got it! I have already cut back on the water, it's seems that one place up by the corn always has standing water, the rest of the garden drains pretty good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The soil looks good but what about all of that shade? Will you plant in rows or in raised rows?

Ask a Question