New House, Trying to ID the existing plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, we moved into our new house this winter, and are trying to identify all the plants that popped up this spring. We are in Virginia. The pictures are below. We want to be able to research how to best care for them, and also plant some new ones in other areas. Thanks in advance!

plant1.jpg
plant2.jpg
plant3.jpg
plant4.jpg

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

Top left and right are Hosta.
Bottom left also a Hosta.

There are many named cultivars...large leaves/tiny leaves/
Plain coloured leaves in green/blue or yellow and variegated ones.
Ones with white flowers/ ones with purple flowers.

All yours look very strong and healthy.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMImrP5xLDgxgIVYo3bCh23Ew6y

Bottom right ...would like to see clear close up pic to show the leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Definitely the first three are hostas - yours look great. Very hardy perennial, need little care, can be easily divided and transplanted when they get real big. I love my hostas. There's a giant variety called "Empress Wu" that has leaves up to three feet across that I am coveting.
Not sure about the fourth....it does look very familiar to me but I'm not the best at identifying plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The fourth picture looks like a variegated Weigela its hard to say with out a close up of the leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The first three pictures are hostas but the last one I had no idea. Hostas come back year after year and not much care needed or very little. My neighbor's house lined with hostas and they spilled over my driveway. I had to tell them to trim them down as I can't barely get out of my car.

Ask a Question