Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've had this acer palmatum for over thirty years
P1000634.JPG

This one about fifteen.

P1000635.JPG

At this time of the year, they look a bit sad. There's always some mostly lower branches that have died off and need pruning. This could cause some concern if it weren't an anual occurance. There's always lots of new growth.

P1020050.JPG

P1020049.JPG

I removed this lot, this morning.

P1020053.JPG

They don't look much different.

P1020051.JPG

P1020052.JPG

But pruning them now means I can work out which branches need wiring to others get an even spread of foliage in the summer. I'll not move them much yet as it's easy to break them. in the Spring I can even them up a bit at a time. There'll probably be a few more that will need to be removed, including many "ends." On some "the jury's out" as to whether they are dead or not. I'll know better at the end of February.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We've had this acer palmatum for over thirty years
View attachment 47674

This one about fifteen.

View attachment 47675

At this time of the year, they look a bit sad. There's always some mostly lower branches that have died off and need pruning. This could cause some concern if it weren't an anual occurance. There's always lots of new growth.

View attachment 47677

View attachment 47676

I removed this lot, this morning.

View attachment 47680

They don't look much different.

View attachment 47678

View attachment 47679

But pruning them now means I can work out which branches need wiring to others get an even spread of foliage in the summer. I'll not move them much yet as it's easy to break them. in the Spring I can even them up a bit at a time. There'll probably be a few more that will need to be removed, including many "ends." On some "the jury's out" as to whether they are dead or not. I'll know better at the end of February.
I feel like such a student. Thank You!

Ask a Question