JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Some of you may or may not know that in addition to my native garden, rain garden, and pond garden, I also have a few small 3' x 3' "birdhouse gardens", as I call them. Here's one from last July.

IMG_4411 copy.jpg

I've recently decided to make a few additions. The garden below will no longer have a birdhouse, and will be slightly expanded. You can see the expansion here; the current growth and the bare soil or future habitat. It'll add around 20 sq. ft. of habitat, and the shape will also make it easier to mow around compared to the square shape it originally had. I plan on doing this same design with another one of my "birdhouse gardens".
IMG_9703 copy.jpg

The birdhouse that used to be in that garden will be moved to a new location, with another 3' x 3' garden under it, and I've also added yet another birdhouse with another 3' x 3' garden. I may also expand their square shape to be easier to mow around.

IMG_9704.jpg

Once it's all finished, depending on the design I choose, I'll have another 40 to potentially 80 square feet of native habitat in my yard for bees, butterflies, birds, amphibians, reptiles, and mammals. (y) While it's not much to see yet, it'll look much different in a year or two.
Little projects can add up and make a big difference!

Ask a Question