Anyone a Bitcoin owner?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I asked this on sister forum GPH, but I thought I would post it here, too for those not members over there.

Do you have/buy Bitcoin? For what reason?...investment? To use on sites that use it? As an alternative currency if the dollar (other currency) fails? For fun? I just bought some last week...put in a few hundred dollars that I can afford to lose. If it continues going up, I'll take out my original investment, then it will be free money from there if it continues to go up, or no loss if it goes down or crashes.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I had that sort of spare money! LOL! It's like dealing with the void!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I heard that someone bought a small amount and it has appreciated considerably in value. There is something sinister and clandestine about it.. Good luck if you have some.. Have you made a fortune, @MoonShadows ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No fortune. I just bought some last week. Nothing really sinister or clandestine if you understand fiat currencies and how Bitcoin gets it's value.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Got any link so that I can sweep away my misgivings? I'm off to watch TV now.. Need to find out the con about student loan!

I despair that people enthralled by luxury in life and for that they would think of disgusting and inhumane life to sustain their life style. Greed and lack of intelligence are the mothers of most troubles in life!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No one link I found was enough. There is so much information out there. I found I had to do a lot of reading to wrap my head around the whole Bitcoin concept. I put this together this morning to try and explain Bitcoin to someone brand new to it. Hope it helps.

Bitcoin Simplified...

A currency is a medium of exchange that has an accepted value by those using it, and throughout history currencies have taken on many forms. Perhaps the one we are most familiar with is our country’s official currency. In the US, it is the Dollar; in the UK, the Pound; in Japan, the Yen, and so on. We exchange our country’s currency for goods and services. However, there have always existed unofficial currencies or mediums of exchange. We have all heard stories of days gone by when someone would pay the doctor with a chicken or some eggs, or even today when you might chop a cord of wood for a neighbor in exchange for piano lessons for your child. We call that bartering, and bartering is an unofficial currency because the items or services are a medium of exchange that in themselves have value.

There was a time when the major official world currencies were backed by gold. You could take your form of currency (a paper note) and exchange it for gold, something of real value in the world. Those days are long gone. Now, all the major world currencies are known as fiat currencies. A fiat currency is a medium of exchange not backed by a physical commodity or something of real value, but accepted as a medium of exchange that has value. This is exactly what Bitcoin is.

What stymies most people is that Bitcoin is not something you can’t see or hold in your hand like paper money or a basket of eggs, so they may be unsure about it, think it cannot be of value, is a scam or evil enterprise. Others think it is the future of currency. Bitcoin is a digital cryptocurrency. But, what is a cryptocurrency?

Digital is the language of computers. When we use a computer, we see words and images on our monitor and hear sounds on our speakers, but a computer doesn’t. A computer “sees” and “hears” everything as a digit, a number, specifically a string of 0’s and 1’s. It stores everything as digits and the world wide web transmits these digits to other computers who “translate” them as words, images and sounds on other monitors and speakers.

Cryptography is the art and science of uniquely scrambling or encrypting information to keep it secret so only the originator and intended recipient know the true meaning of the information being sent.

So, a cryptocurrency is an encoded string of digits used as a medium of exchange that has an accepted value and is transmitted by a computer from one person to another. Bitcoin, whether it be one Bitcoin, many Bitcoins, or a fraction of a Bitcoin, every time it is bought, sold or exchanged creates one of these uniquely encoded digital strings, commonly called a digital signature. This digital signature is transmitted from originator to recipient where it is uniquely re-encoded. This re-encoded digital signature is now “owned” by the recipient.

So, what gives Bitcoin its value? Here are some factors:

-Like a precious metal, there is a limited supply of Bitcoin and the more in demand it is, the more it’s value increases. That’s called supply and demand.

-More entities are accepting Bitcoin in exchange for goods and services.

-It is extremely secure, much safer than a bank account, check, credit card, pocket book or wallet.

-You can instantly send it around the world without the need for a third party, i.e. bank.

-It is much easier to store and readily available from your “digital wallet”.

-It is innovative and lends itself to the digital world. If you are a betting person, you would bet this is how we will handle “money” in the future.

No doubt, there are many people who will be very slow to embrace Bitcoin, or any cryptocurrency. Like most innovations, most people are slow to accept. However, if you agree that the digital world is here to stay, then you must believe that cryptocurrency is the logical next step in currency. There was a time people did not trust and would not use banks, credit cards, PayPal, etc. Now, they are common-place; so too will be cryptocurrency as the future unfolds.

Like any currency, Bitcoin, or any cryptocurrency, is subject to increases and decreases in value. Will Bitcoin be the cryptocurrency of choice 10 years from now? Who knows. The only thing for certain is that cryptocurrency is here to stay, and Bitcoin is king for the foreseeable future. Could it collapse and be completely devalued? Yup, just like the Dollar, the Pound and the Yen. It’ your call.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You also need traditional money to buy gold and silver. Why buy it then? They are a diverse investment and a hedge against the volatility of the Dollar and other currencies. There are others ways to get Bitcoin without using traditional money. If you sell a good or service, you can take Bitcoin as a form of payment. It is becoming more and more acceptable as a form of payment for goods and services. Did you know such companies such as Dell, Amazon, Apple, Expedia, Home Depot, Subway, Target, Microsoft, Overstock and hundreds more already accept Bitcoin for payment, and more are going in this direction. Most serious ecommerce platforms (store software...shopping cart software) are also planning to make it a feature. This will make it available for payment not only to the giants, but the Mom and Pop store or service very soon.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MoonShadows There really is no bank handling this currency and that's why worries me. Unlike gold or other precious metal. Gold has been around for years and you can actually buy them as nuggets. Do you know the exchange rate of bitcoin and US$ please?

If you have spare money, buy a bit to have fun. Sadly for this church mouse, I haven't got 2 pennies to rub against each other.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is actually more secure than a bank with the cryptology, but you have to really understand how it works to see that. The fact that it is not a physical entity is very unsettling for many people. As I write this, one bitcoin is worth $6568 Dollars. A year ago at this time, one bitcoin was worth $707, and if you bought one last Nov 14 and wanted to cash it out today, the money would land in your bank account today. (Bitcoins can be bought/sold in fractions of a coin.)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@MoonShadows I don't have that trust in our fellow human beings.. Look at all the tax avoidance .. corruption ..

For every code, there is a way to crack it .. That's why PATCHES are issued all the times.. But I admire your avant garde outlook ..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@alp....it is not about faith in human beings; it is about knowledge about how digital signatures work. This code is not like Microsoft code or another software code that needs periodic patches. It is so far beyond that. Comparing this to common software codes shows you are not grasping the concept or how it works. No insult or offense intended! It is not for everyone, although cryptocurrency will eventually be the currency we ALL will use...just like other modern innovations we all have to use whether we want to or not.

I would like to go back to the original intention of my post. It was not to defend, advocate or convince anyone to buy Bitcoin or even to educate anyone about Bitcoin or cryptocurrency. My original intention was just to discuss Bitcoin with other Bitcoin owners. Perhaps, there are none on this forum, but I find that hard to believe.

So, I ask again...Do you have/buy Bitcoin? For what reason?...investment? To use on sites that use it? As an alternative currency if the dollar (other currency) fails? For fun?

Ask a Question