Ok, so I'm a bit of a scavenger...

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was recently reading on my town's official website. I noticed they have a list of rules for the town cemetery. Paraphrasing one of the rules, you are not allowed to plant any flowers unless you have made arrangements with the city manager. Judging from the placement of the flowers I have seen planted there, I'm assuming this is because they don't want the guy on the mower to have to slow down any. :cautious: :rolleyes:

Another rule is that all potted plants must be removed 10 days after Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, And Memorial Day.

:whistle: Wonder what happens to the potted plants that are not removed by the 11th day?

In today's attitude of disposable everything, combined with the attitude that "they pay someone to do that," I can't see a majority of people going back to pick up the flowers they left. I would assume that non-gardening people might buy them, drop them off, and never think about it 'til the next time they drop off flowers. :(

I have driven past there in spring, and seen many, many pots of spring flowers. More tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils than I have room for. :love: It seems a shame that they would just go to waste. (n)

On the understanding that the cemetery is closed at dark, do you think it would be acceptable to make a pass through there at dusk, and pick up any orphans? Maybe I should call the city, or the cemetery, and ask if there is a "dumping ground" for these pots of flowers? :unsure:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Here, a university student climbed into a skip (a big duster cart) at the back of a big supermarket chain and took some reduced food stuff. She was given a criminal record for that!

How nasty was that? Now they have wised up to the fact that even though things were a day or two old, they can still be consumed and another chain store is selling tin foods which have past their sell by date for 10p each.

One day, I saw an orchid for £2.75 and the lady said she couldn't sell it to me. I actually didn't want orchid, but I felt bad that they might chuck the pot away. Big stores like these lack in flexibility. They could easily stick a price tag of 50p and can sell it for charity or petty cash for the shop. I would say listen to chuck and talk to the person closing the gate, MaryMary and the plants and the environment might thank you for that. Oh, shh! Can I come with you?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Chuck, good idea. (y)

I'll check into it this spring, but I'm not sure they have a permanent groundskeeper. :confused: :unsure: I also saw an ad on the city site that they are accepting bids for next year's mowing, so that will go to the cheapest person. :cautious: I don't really remember seeing any planted areas that would require attending...

@alp, I had the same thing happen at a Walmart. The plant was dead, and by that I mean it was crispy-crunchy. It was a perennial, so I was willing to take a chance. The red sticker (Red or orange is for clearance items here.) said $3.50. I found an employee, and asked if it could be marked down further. No, that was the cheapest it would go, then it was going in the dumpster!! :eek: :(

Oh, shh! Can I come with you?

:sneaky: Yes!! (But we might have to be ninja-quiet!! :ninja: :ROFLMAO:.)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@MaryMary
Maybe I'm superstitious. I'm sorry. :unsure:
But you can not bring something from the cemetery. Even plants. It belongs to the deceased. We always heard this from our grandmothers. They learned this from their grandmothers. This brings misfortune. But we are a little pagan. :)

Of course, it's up to you to decide for yourself. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It belongs to the deceased.

What if I wait until they have taken them off and put them in a pile somewhere? :unsure: Once they are thrown in the trash... maybe the misfortune will follow the person who puts them in the heap? (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What if I wait until they have taken them off and put them in a pile somewhere? :unsure: Once they are thrown in the trash... maybe the misfortune will follow the person who puts them in the heap? (y)
So all you have to do is ask the guy who makes the heap where it is and when he makes the heap. Seems to me that if any misfortune occurs it would happen to the person who told the guy to make the heap and that you would get Brownie points for saving the poor deceased plants from an ignominious fate.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I Sometimes Tidy up graves for relatives of the deceased that can't for some reason get there them selves...................In fact just this morning I had to go to a green Cemetery that has trees instead of head stones. the Relative could not go & plant her bulbs as she is unwell so I offered to do so for her. but in the past have on occasion noticed thrown away pot plants like roses and bulbs in cemetery's in the bins& have saved the plant from certain death its self by planting in my garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Well, you know @MaryMary i expect you are the only person in the world ever to read the civic rules regarding the cemetery including the City Manager
laughing girl1.gif
Do you really think the City Manager is going to go to the cemetery every day? No you will find him/her at Starbucks. Do you really think the City Manager has a clue what the rules are? I agree with @Chuck. It doesn't sound like there is a cemetery grounds keeper if they out source the mowing each year. If here is you might talk to him/her about picking up potted plants left after 10 days of the holidays mentioned. I don't think this is stealing from the dead if they are going to be dumped anyway, i see it as rescuing plants that will otherwise dry up and die.You have a lot of sound advice here. I think you will do what you feel comfortable doing, and for heaven's sake keep us posted. I think you will find some wonderful bulbs. Is the cemetery fenced and locked at night?:ninja::happy:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I sometimes got freebies or made a little donations for plants destiined for the duster carts in diy gc. This lady literally went with me to the check and told the staff there that I could have them free or for a little donation. Once this rough woman shouted that 20p was not enough for donation. Should have complained. The end of the day, chucking them to the tip with pots is an ever worse offence. These plastic pots never biodegrade..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was recently reading on my town's official website. I noticed they have a list of rules for the town cemetery. Paraphrasing one of the rules, you are not allowed to plant any flowers unless you have made arrangements with the city manager. Judging from the placement of the flowers I have seen planted there, I'm assuming this is because they don't want the guy on the mower to have to slow down any. :cautious: :rolleyes:

Another rule is that all potted plants must be removed 10 days after Easter, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, And Memorial Day.

:whistle: Wonder what happens to the potted plants that are not removed by the 11th day?

In today's attitude of disposable everything, combined with the attitude that "they pay someone to do that," I can't see a majority of people going back to pick up the flowers they left. I would assume that non-gardening people might buy them, drop them off, and never think about it 'til the next time they drop off flowers. :(

I have driven past there in spring, and seen many, many pots of spring flowers. More tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils than I have room for. :love: It seems a shame that they would just go to waste. (n)

On the understanding that the cemetery is closed at dark, do you think it would be acceptable to make a pass through there at dusk, and pick up any orphans? Maybe I should call the city, or the cemetery, and ask if there is a "dumping ground" for these pots of flowers? :unsure:

Be careful or you might end up like this...
ee7efe9959040fdb1993f70b54209ce7--smiley-faces-face-art.jpg
.....:ROFLMAO: :cautious: :whistle:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Is the cemetery fenced and locked at night?:ninja::happy:

No, it is not. :ninja: However, now that I give it little more thought, it occurs to me that without a daily groundskeeper, maybe no one is removing the pots on the 11th day, either. Maybe they only get removed the first day of mowing after the 11th day. I really don't want to remove them from the graveside, that would feel like stealing to me, whether I knew the plant was going to die, or not. (n)

and for heaven's sake keep us posted.

:LOL: Ok!! :D

Be careful or you might end up like this...
ee7efe9959040fdb1993f70b54209ce7-smiley-faces-face-art-jpg.30228
.....:ROFLMAO: :cautious: :whistle:

They've got to catch me first! :ninja: ;)

Ask a Question