Rabbits and Squirrels - Help!

Fritillary

Jennifer
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello, I'd like to plan and plant a garden in our backyard, but we have a large population of rabbits and squirrels, that have nibbled and dug out our bulbs and container plants. They are so bold that they even come up on our porch, and climb up on a bistro table we have on the porch. I'd like to learn ways to control them without hurting them! We've grown most of our plants indoors, but I've been really wanting an outdoor garden - there are only so many sunny windows inside the house! But the rabbits and squirrels are really an obstacle to that goal. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

~*Jennifer*~

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It sounds like you have too many to trap, and I'm sure you don't want to poison them.

This is the best advice I have. You need to install something like this:

0715172241a.jpg

(Two would be enough. :ROFLMAO:.)

In eight years, they have caught one rabbit and one squirrel. (Well... that I know of...:rolleyes:.) Rabbits and squirrels don't come in our yard anymore. We put an ear of corn on a tree for the birds, and there are two squirrels that have figured out a path from the trees, across the shed, and onto the tree to get at the ear of corn - but I have never lost a bulb to one! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Jennifer!
The only advice I can give is to cage your garden. Chicken wire, which is relatively inexpensive, stretched between T-posts will deter rabbits and squirrels. You will need to dig about 6-8" down, and bury the chicken wire. We used 4' wire, so there was 3 1/2' above ground.
Since squirrels climb, you will also have to cover the top of the garden, or make a slanted outward chicken wire top to the cage. Imagine the razor wire topping of penitentiary walls, but with chicken wire rather than razor wire. Of course, if you have a source of razor wire . . . .
Gardeners learn to be very inventive in protecting plants from predators. I hope you get your garden, and enjoy it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I had a that problem years ago and then when I decided to keep bird seed out (lots of sunflower seed) all spring and summer, they left my plants and bulbs alone. The squirrels will still dig a bit to bury seed but they don't dig any bulbs up. And the rabbits stopped nibbling on my plants coming up in the early spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't have a squirrel or rabbit problem anymore. Properly applied HVLP works every time, really!:D Fences are ok on rabbits but squirrels are smart and they can and will climb over anything you can build.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Totally agree with @MaryMary . I had, 3 big male cats for the longest time, years. never seen a rabbit, and squirrels very little. One male passed, two January 2 more passed on. My neighbors even said to me, you still have your cats? I said why? Because we seen rabbits and have not before. So I told them of my boys in heaven. I am now down to 4 cats, two males, two females. one of the females the momcat. is probably 18 years old, not in the skill set to hunt anymore. The two boys try, and the younger female tries to, but still not enough I guess. Best bet, go to a shelter, find a couple males cats, make sure they are fixed, and keep them inside for 2 weeks to get used to their new home, and slowly let them roam. they may not be able to kill the adults, but they do cull the babies. And as the squirrels, they will chase them, keep them treed, this is stress for the squirrels so they breed less.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Best bet, go to a shelter, find a couple males cats,

I think it's attitude more than gender. :confused: That, and don't feed them too much! :rolleyes: A handful of dry food in the morning, a handful in the evening, and if they want more - they'll catch their own! (If you truly want hunters, make that only one feeding - their stomachs are about the size of a walnut.)

I've always heard that the females are the better hunters - they need to be, to feed kittens!! (It bears true at my house, anyway!!) The two females at the 10 and 2 o'clock position are our best hunters. That big orange male is so silly; he'll see a bird on the ground and go bounding out across the yard - you can practically hear him shouting, "Here I come!!" :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think it's attitude more than gender. :confused: That, and don't feed them too much! :rolleyes: A handful of dry food in the morning, a handful in the evening, and if they want more - they'll catch their own! (If you truly want hunters, make that only one feeding - their stomachs are about the size of a walnut.)

I've always heard that the females are the better hunters - they need to be, to feed kittens!! (It bears true at my house, anyway!!) The two females at the 10 and 2 o'clock position are our best hunters. That big orange male is so silly; he'll see a bird on the ground and go bounding out across the yard - you can practically hear him shouting, "Here I come!!" :LOL:
And I'll bet that the calico is the best of all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States

could be their attitude. but I kept their bowls well filled they ate anytime they wanted. its more like they catch for the fun and kill them. rather they did not eat them or other things as they can get sick, worms etc.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
And I'll bet that the calico is the best of all

Yes, Chuck, she is!!

o_O How did you know? She's the one that caught the squirrel. It happened right in front of me, I had to stop her from killing it. She has also brought us a mole, and a bat!! :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, Chuck, she is!!

o_O How did you know? She's the one that caught the squirrel. It happened right in front of me, I had to stop her from killing it. She has also brought us a mole, and a bat!! :eek:
Ever since I can remember it is said a calico is the best hunter and it's true. During my life I have had 3 of them and each of these cats would rather catch their own food than eat catfood. All of the other cats in my life seemed to think hunting was more of a game than serious work. I have found that many cats will bring their owners presents but actually hunting is a totally different thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Over the last 18 years have had 10 cats, each enjoyed eating the high quality cat food I provide. Not gifts yet. No bunnies and limited squirrels. However, the 10 vultures that wait up in the trees probably help the left over fun from the cats.

We also have an Owl and some hawks that help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had a digger squirrel problem last year. My garden is fenced and the tomatoes were covered in tight bird netting. I have 3 dogs, 2 cats. I also live in a forrest. They would infiltrate and pick tomatoes, taking bites and throwing them all over the yard.

After I lost about 25-30 large tomatoes, I got mad. I began setting rat traps with slices of tomato covered in peanut butter. After I killed about 15 of them they finally stopped coming.

Ask a Question