Rabbits!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rabbits absolutely destroyed my tulips this year, they took a bit bite off the flower and it was gone completely. They have also been munching on my hostas, although they are still flowering. I'm a relatively new gardener that hasn't had to deal with rabbits yet, is there anything I can do?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
1 rabbit cut up
1 cup of flour with spices added
Dredge rabbit in flour and fry over medium heat until tender. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.
Or you can build a fence out of chicken wire and bury it about 4 inches deep around your garden

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2016/June%202016/1%20June%202016%20Rabbit%20Protection/HTML/ 1 June 2016 Rabbit Protection
Periodically is necessary to protect small individual seedlings like, Brussels sprout and Romaine lettuce from marauding rabbits. Chicken wire is relatively low cost and readily available in 100 foot rolls two feet wide or even shorter lengths. It is made into 2 foot high cylinders and placed around the plant. The cage is generally self supporting, but is easily strengthened with the addition of a small stake if deemed necessary. The wire is cut into the appropriate length, three times the diameter required. The open ends are joined with wire pipe cleaners from a kraft store. The simple cylinder is placed around the target plant. For storage at the end of the season the wire pieces may be rolled into a compact cylinder. I could find nothing suitable commercially.
dsc_97011%20june%202016%20rabbit%20protection_std.jpg

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They have a natural rabbit repellant spray you can buy. Does the trick for us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They have a natural rabbit repellant spray you can buy. Does the trick for us!
for how long? We also have repellants for rabbits, deer, squirrels and just about everything else. It last about 24 hours per application. What is the name of your miracle cure?

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
for how long? We also have repellants for rabbits, deer, squirrels and just about everything else. It last about 24 hours per application. What is the name of your miracle cure?
Usually keeps them out for a couple of weeks. You have to do an initial spray and then reapply in a week. I can't tell what it's called because the label has faded, but I got it at Home Depot!

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They also dislike the smell of garlic and chili powder! When I'm out of my store bought stuff, I mix up a few gallons of minced garlic and chili powder, boil it, and then let it sit overnight. Strain it and put in a spray bottle. Apply to plants and around their perimeter as needed.

Brandie

Mandrake Momma
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
1 rabbit cut up
1 cup of flour with spices added
Dredge rabbit in flour and fry over medium heat until tender. Serve with mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans.
Or you can build a fence out of chicken wire and bury it about 4 inches deep around your garden
I was gonna say...a Bebe gun works too, but rabbit lives matter.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
Invisible fence works pretty good, but so does eradicating them if their numbers are really high ...not enough natural predators anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't currently have a rabbit problem, though I'm semi-rural, but I have three dogs and several cats, which I think deters critters. When I did live in a very rural area, physical fencing was the only solution. And buried as well as above ground as stated above - many critters will dig to get to yummy vegetables. Are you sure it's rabbits?

Shooting them would I suppose work but you'd have to be extremely vigilant and out there all the time...Nature abhors a vacuum and every shot bunny would be quickly replaced! At a previous house I did try going after them with a .22, but apparently I'm not a great shot because I never got one. (My dogs would have eaten them; I don't much like rabbit.) ;)

Ask a Question