gophers and rabbits

anc

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did a search and didn't find much. Currently we have a small raised bed that is about 2' tall with another 2' of chicken wire above that and for the most part we can keep the rabbits and gophers out. But we have a large property and I want to farm it. Our first 2 years our garden was beautiful and large then the gophers and bunnies found it. Since then we have always had troubles, the dogs scare out the bunnies and dig up the gophers but there are way too many. My little garden space is just too small.

How do people with large gardens or even farm companies keep the pests out, I know that they have to deal with the same pests that I do.

I want to get a motion activated sprinkler to deal with the rabbits, just not sure it would work. I also would like to get a sonic thing for the gophers but again not sure if it would work and we have a hamster in the house so I am not sure of the reach of it (how far is 7500 sq feet?). (I know that it says that it only works under ground but if an in home sonic repellent can work with mice how different is the underground one)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
A friend with a large rural garden with deer, rabbits, opossums, and groundhogs uses a three strand electric fence. He uses welding wire for the strands. The higher strand is for deer, so if all you have is smaller animals probably one or two strands might be sufficient. He assures me he never has animal damage. The pulsar is cheap but still a pain to some degree to install. But if you have the money the posts are easy and quick to install.

I have rabbits and use a two foot high chicken wire fence, which is so so. My little dog catches the odd one, but I do have problems with some stuff and place a round cylinder chicken wire around some plants until they get larger.

anc

Reaction score
Country
United States
that would work for the rabbits (hoping to find a cheaper solution, can't afford electric fence) but for the most part I think the gophers are worse than the rabbits. I've done chicken wire under ground, and around the plants, I've even wired the chicken wire that's underground to the chicken wire above ground and have still had gophers get to it. Lol, we once got a rabbit stuck in it, not sure how it got in. That being said, we can't afford to use chicken wire on the entire garden.

anc

Reaction score
Country
United States
has anybody used that spray liquid fence stuff?? it is any good does it stay, and what about spraying it on veggies?? I would prefer not spraying anything on my veggies.

NatalieW

Certified Herbalist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I use Liquid Fence because I have a ton of rabbits that get into my stuff. It has worked great for me and keeps them away. I use the spray for deer and rabbits. It does stink while you're spraying it, but it dulls down so you can enjoy your plants. Respray after rain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have a problem with rabbits, they spend their time eating the clover in my lawn than try working their way into my veggie garden.

Ask a Question