citrus tree from a seed

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hello everyone! Have you ever tried to grow a citrus tree from a seed? I would love to have one..I was thinking about lemon or mandarine tree.. Which one is easier to grow? What conditions are suitable for them? Every advice is very precious for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
One word - don’t! Unless a citrus tree if grafted, it is pretty much junk. See if you can find a nursery or grower that has grafted stock. Then all your hard work can give you edible rewards. And welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, listen to @Silentrunning . A citrus from seed will take between 7 and 10 years to produce and even then the quality of the fruit will be iffy at best, if it even has fruit.
There are three ways of propagating citrus. From seed, from a graft or from a cutting. From seed is basically a waste of time. If from a graft you must have a good root stock. The easiest is from a citrus softwood cutting. It will be a clone of the tree you removed it from and sometimes you can get fruit in as little as 3 years.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Agree with @Silentrunning ! Any fruit trees grown from seeds will be huge. You could look out for cheap reduced plants at the end of season. They will be find. I have seen cistrus tree about 1 foot tall laden with fruits reduced to £3! What do you think of that?

Mind you, I gave a Turkish lady some lemon seedlings. She has had 2 fruits from it and she never told me how tall they are. Only one year. Think her house is constantly heated as she has a young daughter.

Ask a Question