Something to do when it's raining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Are/were you a lounge lizard?

I used to play guitar in a jazz band in my teens. But playing music on this or my tenor sax is just for my own amusement..
I flit between different hobbies.

I play a lot of golf.
I'm greatly into "nostalgia'

I've these two in the Japanese tea-house I built 30 years ago at the bottom of our garden.

Vintage audio in our front room.

I keep Japanese koi and of course there's the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Flitting is good for the soul. Do what you want for as long as you want. Me, too, but I tend to take things to their logical extreme. Sometimes that's good, others not. I can see you go the extra mile, too...

Your garden is very nice, but I notice you only had 3 Wisteria. Don't you like them?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Flitting is good for the soul. Do what you want for as long as you want. Me, too, but I tend to take things to their logical extreme. Sometimes that's good, others not. I can see you go the extra mile, too...

Your garden is very nice, but I notice you only had 3 Wisteria. Don't you like them?

Actually we have six wisterias. One added since that video was taken.

This was our original one, It's over forty years old. It was here when we bought the house.

But over the years it presented a problem. This.

A lot of old wood encroaching on the path and fewer blooms each year and the base was rotting.

So I took some drastic action two years ago.

I'd kept the one healthy branch that was extremely long and trained around the side fence and half way along the pergola on the back of the house where it crosses with this one growing up the right-hand pergola post.

I protected the base with a layer of silicone which has done the trick and this one branch produced a lot of new branches last year which I trained back over the pool pergola. It also produced more growth along this narrow bed from self-layered branches.

In the meantime we bought this white one in case it didn't. This one is doing really well.

Another is in the small bed under the kitchen window. This is pink and grows over the fence and around the side of the house over the kitchen door and side window.

We did buy this white one about thirty years ago but it got a fungus desease and died about fifteen years ago. This was its "final flourish," it was replaced by what we have now.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for the kind words.

It's a Yamaha Tyros 5.

It's the sixth electric piano I've had in thirty-odd years.

I've only ever played one Yamaha Sean; a 3 cylinder Yamaha 750cc motorcycle; :):):)

Nice bike and your instrument looks like a decent bit of kit too.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
@Sean Regan what form of silicone did you use on the base of that wisteria? Was it a spray type or the liquid rubbery type in a tube that hardens or the paste kind? Brilliant idea!

Just the basic silicone you get in a tube that you use a gun to apply. I used clear and a whole tube spread it about with a damp finger, didn't get a very smooth surface.

I beleved the stuff is inert and wouldn't do the trunk any harm. This is how it looks today. No sign of any more rot.

P1020138.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a Wisteria, too. I've had it for 15 years. It top-killed in the Winter From Hell, 2013/14, and again in the Second Winter From Hell, 2014/15. You can see it has THREE flowers. That's an average of 0.2 flower per year. I had hoped for better. The flowers are almost EIGHT inches long! Actually, it's not 15 years old. It was probably 8 to 10 years old when I bought it as a named W. floribunda variety which I can't recall. That doesn't matter because this is speciously like rootstock of a lesser variety. It was going to have flowers too long and clumsy that I would probably have cut off, anyway. And, they would have been too intense of a color, too. As you can see, the washed-out, not blue or pink or white mix of colors is almost as attractive as Sean's 20 foot long cascade. Sean is making it difficult to be facetious. :inpain:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Wisteria, too. I've had it for 15 years. It top-killed in the Winter From Hell, 2013/14, and again in the Second Winter From Hell, 2014/15. You can see it has THREE flowers. That's an average of 0.2 flower per year. I had hoped for better. The flowers are almost EIGHT inches long! Actually, it's not 15 years old. It was probably 8 to 10 years old when I bought it as a named W. floribunda variety which I can't recall. That doesn't matter because this is speciously like rootstock of a lesser variety. It was going to have flowers too long and clumsy that I would probably have cut off, anyway. And, they would have been too intense of a color, too. As you can see, the washed-out, not blue or pink or white mix of colors is almost as attractive as Sean's 20 foot long cascade. Sean is making it difficult to be facetious. :inpain:
View attachment 48251

That looks very attractive,.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some trees that look very nice in person are not photogenic and look lousy in a picture. This is the other kind. But, thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just the basic silicone you get in a tube that you use a gun to apply. I used clear and a whole tube spread it about with a damp finger, didn't get a very smooth surface.

I beleved the stuff is inert and wouldn't do the trunk any harm. This is how it looks today. No sign of any more rot.

P1020138.JPG
I would love to see it but something is wrong with the picture?

Ask a Question