Advice for something to grow in shade to feed to chickens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to plant something for my chickens that I can clip and feed them through the season, its for an area of the yard with very little sunlight if any so I was thinking of comfrey at first but then I read that when they go to seed they can become invasive and blow around and I wouldn't want to upset the neighbours by spreading comfrey to their yard, anything at all as long as it grows in shade and chickens can eat it they seem to love any greens I put in front of them, doesn't matter how invasive it is as far as coming back once clipped as I can just let the hens and let them clear it out, I did this with spearmint last year in a different full sun raised bed and they got rid of it completely, tbh the more invasive the better if it will keep coming back so I can keep letting them in to snack on it but at the same time something which won't spread over to my neighbours

P.s is i possible to still grow comfrey if I just keep it clipped gown so it can't go to seed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why not hang some bird feeders and the scratched out seed that the chickens don't eat will sprout. If you plant something the chickens will just eat it all and it will be gone no matter what you plant. With bird feeders you will have a steady supply of greens for the chickens. The judicious use of chicken wire will allow more of the seed to sprout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Why not hang some bird feeders and the scratched out seed that the chickens don't eat will sprout. If you plant something the chickens will just eat it all and it will be gone no matter what you plant. With bird feeders you will have a steady supply of greens for the chickens. The judicious use of chicken wire will allow more of the seed to sprout.

I already have a few salad bars for them :) I plant wheat grass in it and they peck off the tips when it starts to poke through the wire, I have hanging baskets all around the yard with pyracantha too to see how that goes I was hoping to pick off some of the berries for them and also attract some song birds, but I could try putting a bird feeder above their salad bar so that any spare grain falls in that a great idea thanks

Ask a Question