Seeking advice on growing beans indoor

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi, I am new to growing beans. I received two bean seeds (red in colour) a few weeks back and grew them indoors. I am starting to notice buds growing. Which (I think) indicates that flowers might bloom.

As I am growing the beans at home, I was hoping to hand pollinate the flowers (I am hoping that the species is asexual). However, I am worried that the flowers might attract bees or other pollinators. I was thinking of wrapping the flowers in clear plastic, so as to not attract bees. But I am not sure if I would suffocate the flower and jeopardize its growth? Would the bag even help to not attract bees?

Thanks for reading this post!
Any advice is appreciated :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You will have a lot of bugs and other problems if you wrap the flowers in clear plastic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
as far as I know, there are no asexual bean species. Beans are like tomatoes, self pollinating. Just shake the plant to help spread the pollen. Plastic??????????? Extremely bad idea for a number of reasons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi, I am new to growing beans. I received two bean seeds (red in colour) a few weeks back and grew them indoors. I am starting to notice buds growing. Which (I think) indicates that flowers might bloom.

As I am growing the beans at home, I was hoping to hand pollinate the flowers (I am hoping that the species is asexual). However, I am worried that the flowers might attract bees or other pollinators. I was thinking of wrapping the flowers in clear plastic, so as to not attract bees. But I am not sure if I would suffocate the flower and jeopardize its growth? Would the bag even help to not attract bees?

Thanks for reading this post!
Any advice is appreciated :)
Its fun to try new ways to grow things! Beans will want a lot of light, we grow them in the summer here, out of doors but it is quite warm and you will want a thermometer that can record the minimum and maximum temp near the plant in addition to a proper strong light source. The plant will grow slowly and develop poorly without proper light intensity and temperature controls. Also, if you suffocate the flowers you will have no beans. Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide is a need, but so is the ability to open its stomata and breathe and evaporate liquids, which is part of the pump and vacuum action of the vascular system of any plant.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's more like self-pollinating rather than asexual.

Ask a Question