Something in my jalapeno!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No sign of external damage, but found this guy inside when I cut it open. What is it and how do I stop it in the future?

IMG_20180629_122854648.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
No sign of external damage, but found this guy inside when I cut it open. What is it and how do I stop it in the future?

View attachment 39670
What you probably have is called a pepper maggot/pepper weevil. What happens is wasp/bee looking insect lays an egg, usually on the upper shoulder close to the stem but other places as well. The egg hatches and the teeny tiny worm eats his way into the pepper. Sometimes you can see an actual hole in the pepper and sometimes all you can see is what looks like a dimple. Luckily these things rarely show up. There is no cure once the egg has hatched and the worm is inside. But, to prevent this you can spray regularly with Neem to kill the egg or with Bt before the egg hatches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you sir, the little guy ruined my lunch! Fortunately the one I picked for dinner was fine.

Ask a Question