Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
That's great @Sean Regan
Did you know that Neil Sedarka's Oh Carol was named after Carol King?

Yes i've got nearly all of Carpenter's albums, not Ticket to Ride. Heard it on, i think it was YouTube.

Used to have a greatest hits of Neil Sedarka.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
That's great @Sean Regan
Did you know that Neil Sedaka's Oh Carol was named after Carole King?

Yes i've got nearly all of Carpenter's albums, not Ticket to Ride. Heard it on, i think it was YouTube.

Used to have a greatest hits of Neil Sedaka.

Yes I knew about "Oh Carol," Sedaka's said in a documentary that she was his highschool girlfriend.

He was better musically educated than many of his contemporary pop song writers, he won a scholarship to Juliard, though wasn't there for very long.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks DirtMechanic; I've enjoyed today in spite of the dire weather; I've just come out of the workshop after a metal spinning session. Time to buy Becky a bigger car? :)

Nice one Sean. Bron and I have the Skoda Yeti so plenty of space for my lathes and other toys I buy. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.
LOL Funny you should mention it @Colin , because every spring I offer that new car if we sell the old one. Now, we have a yellow tag antique that runs perfectly, because the answer is always NO!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
On the subject of cars, my last three cars I bought new. a Honda Civic LSI, in 1995, we called it "Gloria" ours was red like this and the first three letters of the registration were GLO

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Then the first model of Honda CRVs in 1998. We called that "Bruce" as it was in spruce green.

Brucie 2.JPG

and then another. This last one I bought in 2005. this is "Rhonda the Honda."

P6110017.JPG

it's now only done 54,000 miles and everything on it works. It's the longest I've ever kept a car by far, either second-hand or new. It has a couple of "door dings" from Waitrose's carpark, but other than that it's in perfect condition. As we don't go very far in it, it only does around 24 mls to the gallon, but I don't mind, I'd be mad to change for change's sake.

I bought the first CRV when I took early retirement. I took my wife to a Honda showroom as I intended to buy one of these. a Honda Prelude. But my wife said she'd had difficulty getting in another "head banger" as she calls all low-roofed cars.

red-honda-prelude-front.jpg

But she said "I could get in one of those better" indicating the CRV behind it in the showroom. It ws the first time either of us had seen one. I had a test drive and was sold on it. But we had to wait four months for it as they were then only made in Japan. For the first year we had it, if you saw another coming towards you on a road "everybody waved" as they were that rare at the time.

I've had some favourite cars. All bought second-hand.

A pre-war Austin Seven Ruby convertible, exactly like this, I bought when I was seventeen, in the late fifties. I drove hundreds of miles in it.Though the furthest it went was from South London to Brighton a few times with a girlfriend. All it cost me was a new set of tyres...well retreads. and 5p for a dynamo bearing.

Austin Ruby.jpg

Then an Austin A35 four-door like this, in my twenties. This often did the run between Manchester and London with our two young kids and a cot on the roof rack, to stay with friends or family occasionally. It had really small doors

Austin A30.jpg

Then in my late twenties a Vauxhall Victor like this. Bench seats and three-speed column change. The ride was much like our youngest son's VW "splitty" campervan. Like "a magic carpet."

vauxhallvictor.jpg

Then in the early seventies, a nearly new one of these.

A "Life on Mars" Ford Cortina Mklll 2ltr GKL. Metalic bronze and black vinyl roof. Ours was an "L" reg. The kids liked that best.

Ford Cortina.jpg

A few years later an Alfa Romeo Guilieta 2lt. Like this.

All aluminium engine, canted at 30 degrees to reduce the height. two twin-choke down draught webber carburettors. The gearbox was strapped to the de Dion back axle, for better weight distribution. It could see off Ford XR3s. despite being 300lb heavier.
Unfortunatey, it just "rusted to death."

la.jpg

I then had a succession of boring cars, apart from my sister's Renault 5 GTS, I bought when she moved to France.

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Sean for adding the interesting pictures. (y)

I've been riding motorcycles and driving cars for the last 50 years so too many to mention; Bron and I love our current Skoda Yeti SE L 2.0L diesel and are mad at Skoda for stopping making the Yeti otherwise we'd have definitely bought another new one in April next year when ours reaches three years old.

24mpg; has your Honda got an hole in its tank? Below is a picture of a car I owned many years ago; an identical one to the picture and in showroom condition Reg EEB 88 this suffered a similar thirst for fuel.

Kind regards, Colin.

Austin Healey..JPG

Austin Healey 100/4 exactly the same as I owned; it looked stunning in red and the sound of the exhaust used to make the hair at the back of my head stand up. Few cars will even beat it now for street appeal. Cost me £150 at the time; now I've seen these in top condition at up tp £80,000.

Bikes (1).jpg

My first BMW R75/5 in 1971. Followed in 1972 by a brand new one same modlel same colour; brilliant bikes.

Bikes (2).jpg

Extremely rare; me on what is now a hugely expensive Brough Superior. Carefree days of long ago.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_15-40-54.png
    upload_2018-12-4_15-40-54.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 198
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
If I'm just going to the shops, visiting local friends, or going to the golf club six miles away, I'll never get good mileage out of it, the previous one was the same. If I take it on a run and use the cruise control a lot, I'll get nearer thirty.

It' funny with car registrations, I always have had difficulty remembering the current one. but with the little Austin Seven Ruby, it just trips off the tongue. DPA 227.

Didn't T E Lawrence have a Brough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Didn't T E Lawrence have a Brough?

Yes, he did. Several in fact. The one he got killed on was (obviously) his last, and was a 1932 SS100.

Incidentally, the 4 door Austin in one of your other posts was not an A35, but an A30.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, he did. Several in fact. The one he got killed on was (obviously) his last, and was a 1932 SS100.

Incidentally, the 4 door Austin in one of your other posts was not an A35, but an A30.

Correct!

Thinking back ours was an A30 as in the photo. It had I think a smaller engine and smaller back window. than the A35.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After potting up our new roses, it was too wet to do any serious gardening today.

I like to teach myself to play a few new tunes each month, it make up for those older ones I've forgotten how to play!

Neil Sedaka, recorded "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" as an up-tempo pop song in 1962.
in 1975 he re-recorded it as a more sophisticated slow romantic ballad.

The first bit will remind you of the original recording.

https://app.box.com/s/resgyegm2rxc2e5qsxksp9rfagv2im3w
I'm impressed! What kind of instrument is that?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I love Babs dearly but she is a poor little rich commie bless her heart. I grew up singing along with her movies if I was not entranced by the plot.
I didn't like her very much, until i saw the film called A Star Is Born. The remake that she was in with Chris Christopherson,
amazing voice she's got.

Ask a Question