Something is eating…

Reaction score
Country
United States
My elephant ear plants. They are getting holes in the leaves. Any idea what it is and how to get rid of it?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hope these uploaded

Attachments

• 20180530_175544.jpg
    20180530_175544.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 342
  • 20180530_175536.jpg
    20180530_175536.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 320
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Over watering or fungus and I am leaning to fungus. Better safe than sorry, dont let it run down the stem into the root. Full sanitation, clorox the scissors and spray it with fungicide before you touch it to cut it and dislodge a spray of spores everywhere.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look here please

Why Do Elephant Ear Plants Get Brown on Edge? The most common reason for the phenomenon is simply leaf scorch. In high light, they may get burnt along the edges of the arrow-shaped leaves. This won’t kill the plant but does affect the appearance of the glossy foliage, which is the focal point of the ornamental plant. Provide bright light but shield the plants when temperatures are scorching, especially when the heat of the day is highest. In this case, it is easy to prevent the edges of elephant ear turning brown by positioning a garden umbrella to provide shade, tilting the blinds a bit for indoor plants, or relocating it to a region of the garden where some dappling occurs at midday.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Elephant Ear With Brown Edges: Why Do Elephant Ear Plants Get Brown On Edge https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/elephant-ear/elephant-ear-brown-edges.htm

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought that they was sun loving plants? Thanks for the help! I'll do both to be safe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What is strange about the elephant ear plant is that the more you primp with them the worse they do. I found several specimens while kayaking in southern Florida that were out in the wilds and grew to 8 feet tall. A couple were over 20 feet wide with leaves 3 feet long. Then I see people pampering them in their yard and getting leaves 12” long at best. :confused:

Ask a Question