Some Kind of Berry Bush - How to Transplant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, this is my first post. My aunt has a some razzberries and she'd like to get rid of the bush, so I told her I'd look into how to care for it. She says it needs to be removed once she begins her next project, so maybe the next month or so. It's maybe 8-10ft tall. Little tiny berries are on some branches but look like they are dried up and dark in color.

How can I prepare an area for this bush and what is the best method of transplanting? What should I be cautious of, if anything? It is across the street, so not too far to transport to my backyard. I'm very new to gardening, but I'd love to try and take on caring for this bush. I'll be looking for spots to plant it permanently. Any advice is appreciated and welcome! Thank you for reading :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cut all the canes back to a manageable size, perhaps 16 - 18", and also remove any dead canes. Then dig the plant in a clump about a foot across. When you can see how wide the roots are, you may want to remove some of the soil from the clump. Put it in a bucket, and then replant in your PREPARED HOLE which you dug beforehand about 20 - 24" wide and deep enough to put your bush plus at least 6" deeper. Put some well-rotted compost in the bottom of the hole and around the plant, then fill in with soil leaving a little "saucer" to catch and hold water. If you don't have compost you can use a mix of garden soil, sand and bone meal.
It's best to do this on a dull, overcast day to prevent sun burn. It will grow well in normal-to-good soil. Raspberries like full sun but will also grow in part shade, as long as they get 3 - 4 hours of direct sunlight a day. They continue to multiply and spread and will provide you with delicious raspberries for years.

Ask a Question