Weird lime lines on my strawberry leaves. Can it be some kind of fungi?

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
So I recently noticed that there has developed some strange Lime colored lines on my strawberry plant leaves, what could it be? Should I cut them off?

VGGhzqI.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I recently noticed that there has developed some strange Lime colored lines on my strawberry plant leaves, what could it be? Should I cut them off?

VGGhzqI.jpg
Those are leaf miners. Don't worry about them. There is nothing you can do anyway except use a systemic and you don't want to do that with food plants. The miners rarely do enough damage to cause any problem.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Those are leaf miners. Don't worry about them. There is nothing you can do anyway except use a systemic and you don't want to do that with food plants. The miners rarely do enough damage to cause any problem.

Oh I recently just cut the leaf off now, since I was worried it was some kind of fungus. Would pressing the leafs kill them and keep the plant safe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh I recently just cut the leaf off now, since I was worried it was some kind of fungus. Would pressing the leafs kill them and keep the plant safe?
A moth flys in at night and lays a few tiny eggs. The eggs hatch and a super small caterpillar then eats his way into the leaf. That leaf is his home and he won't leave it. He travels around and around inside that leaf and doesn't leave it. If you squish the leaf it will damage the leaf more than the leaf miner does, but sure, you can either smash the caterpillar or just remove the leaf. Personally, I just leave them alone. If you knew when the moth was going to fly in and lay eggs you could spray with Bt , but you don't know. Or, you could spray about every 5-7 days but the amount of damage they do is cosmetic and spray isn't cheap. A very very severe infestation of leaf miners does cause damage but that is extremely rare. There are 2 miners in that leaf. In a couple of weeks they will have effectively killed that leaf but in the meantime that leaf is still helping with photosynthesis. And during that 2 weeks your plant has grown many more leaves in replacement. Just forget about them when you see them.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
A moth flys in at night and lays a few tiny eggs. The eggs hatch and a super small caterpillar then eats his way into the leaf. That leaf is his home and he won't leave it. He travels around and around inside that leaf and doesn't leave it. If you squish the leaf it will damage the leaf more than the leaf miner does, but sure, you can either smash the caterpillar or just remove the leaf. Personally, I just leave them alone. If you knew when the moth was going to fly in and lay eggs you could spray with Bt , but you don't know. Or, you could spray about every 5-7 days but the amount of damage they do is cosmetic and spray isn't cheap. A very very severe infestation of leaf miners does cause damage but that is extremely rare. There are 2 miners in that leaf. In a couple of weeks they will have effectively killed that leaf but in the meantime that leaf is still helping with photosynthesis. And during that 2 weeks your plant has grown many more leaves in replacement. Just forget about them when you see them.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Ask a Question