What kind of grasses are these??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hello, friends. Just curious what kind of grasses these are. The first one reminds me of crabgrass. The second one is actually nice grass but I don't know what kind it is. The blades are thin and whispy.

20230315_163035.jpg

20230315_163154.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was thinking Fescue too and then maybe Ryegrass for the second one but then again I don't know my grasses. I do know that top grass is so thick in my yard at some point it bogs the mower down some and kicks it out into clumps because it stays so wet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Plenty of crabgrass here. Neither pics are of crab grass. I do know that much. When each "blade" of crab grass reaches out so far, it re-roots itself. It is a pain to keep out of my blackberries since it likes to reach over borders and re-root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Plenty of crabgrass here. Neither pics are of crab grass. I do know that much. When each "blade" of crab grass reaches out so far, it re-roots itself. It is a pain to keep out of my blackberries since it likes to reach over borders and re-root.
Now that I think about it, I do recall that crab grass did look different than the photo I posted. The link you posted reminded me of that. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Crabgrass is a summer annual weed and probably won't be seen in Tennessee for at least 3 more months. Its leaves are soft. Bluegrasses have a 'boat-shaped' apex to the leaf where the tip looks like the front of a canoe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If that first one were in my South of England garden I would be saying "Bloody woodrush". I don't suppose it is, but it looks just about as unwelcome a visitor as the woodrush :)

Ask a Question