Is there any kind of evergeen berry bush I can grow for chickens to shelter under

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I was digging up alot of soil to fill containers and I ended up digging a hole 6 foot long by 3 foot deep and 3 across, I was going to fill it with some old wood or something just to fill the hole in but I'm wondering if there's something beneficial I could put there instead, I've always been paranoid about planting things in the ground because of roots going under walls and things (hence the reason I ended up with such a big hole in the first place lol) so something that's roots won't do that, I also happened to dig it in a bad spot it's north east facing, if I had thought beforehand I would have dug it south west but I wasn't planning on planting anything in it at the time, is there anything that I can plant that the stem of the bush raises above the ground a few feet before the foliage starts? So that the chickens aren't tempted to eat the leaves and can take shelter underneath it (I'll fence it off for the first few years of life until its big enough to let them in around it)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
is there anything that I can plant that the stem of the bush raises above the ground a few feet before the foliage starts?

I can't think of anything that grows that way apart from 'standard' grown plants. The only suggestion I have is to plant a shrub and prune off the lower branches.

I've always been paranoid about planting things in the ground because of roots going under walls and things

With most trees and shrubs if you think of the root spread being almost the same as the fully grown height then you can judge how far to plant it away from walls etc. Roots also grow thinner further away from the main stem which won't do any harm at all. There are exceptions of course like Willow and Leylandii and invasive plants like Japanese Knotweed, but I don't think you're likely to plant that. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
What an extraordinary situation. An evergreen berry bush planted in a hole three-feet deep to serve as a shelter for chickens.

This is not a usual horticultural situation, and not one that would be recommended prima facie. Still, it has been brought up as an inquiry and such unorthodox exploration can sometimes lead to transilient results.

Firstly, what does this three-foot hole in the ground look like after a heavy rain? Such a depression does not seem promising for good drainage, but if the larger landscape is on a rise and the soil is loose, it could be possible.

My first thought was to plant a Willow (Salix), as they are adept at handling poorly drained sites, but of course, an evergreen that produces berries is so desired. By the way, are these hypothetical berries intended to be food for humans or chickens?

Evergreens with berries for birds might include Holly (Ilex), Privet (Ligustrum) or Buckthorn (Rhamnus). You would need both male and female plants for Holly berries. If you scrap the evergreen requirement, your options for edible berries or similar fruit (aggregates, pomes, drupes) widens considerably.

Pruning this shrub or small tree will likely be necessary to create a functioning berry-producing poultry shelter, though the shade in the hole will like prevent dense foliage near the base, in any case.

Extracting a sheltering hen that chose to hide and brood would be a difficult task, but for now I'll leave off on concerns directly involving the keeping of fowl.

I realise this thread is several years old. Was this amazing shrub ever actually planted? if so, I'd love to see photos.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Highbush blueberries are kind of tall, but are also finicky about soil. They like a highly acid, well drained soil.
I think if you could get them started they'd work well for your purpose, and you'd have berries too. Otherwise I'd try a taller ornamental that attractive and not finicky, like ninebark.

Ask a Question