What kind of compost for a Mirabelle plum tree? And is it too early to plant it out?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea what kind of compost I need for my Mirabelle plum tree. I got it a few weeks ago and it's a grafted dwarf variety (now approx. 3ft and will grow to 5 or 6 feet).

Also, I currently have it inside my house, but I'm not sure when to plant it out. It's a little cold here in the North West UK, but I don't think we've had frost in a bit. Should I wait another couple of weeks until it gets warmer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were you I'd plant it now before the ground freezes up (we have a cold snap coming) As a general rule, trees should ideally always be planted in the winter months when they are dormant as long as it's not too icy and frozen to dig the hole.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were you I'd plant it now before the ground freezes up (we have a cold snap coming) As a general rule, trees should ideally always be planted in the winter months when they are dormant as long as it's not too icy and frozen to dig the hole.
Thanks! Do you know what kind of compost it might need? I was planning on planting it in a large container.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my book pots are always a bit risky for any plant, but if you're really short of ground to plant in you will need a heavy compost earth based. Something like John Innes no 2. If I had to use a pot I think I would just use topsoil with horticultural grit mixed in. Don't forget crocks in the bottom of the pot for drainage, and watering regularly will be crucial, especially if we have another drought. Manure is always good to mix in too, as well as it's well rotted.

Ask a Question