Which kind of compost is good?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I have 2 places. One place uses Chicken manure and the other place uses Horse manure and hay. I'm just curious which kind is good or it does not matter.

They are both organic compost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 2 places. One place uses Chicken manure and the other place uses Horse manure and hay. I'm just curious which kind is good or it does not matter.

They are both organic compost.
Horse manure does not have near as much nitrogen as chicken manure and this applies to composted manures as well. You MUST be very careful with the horse manure and hay as there is a chance that the hay was sprayed with Picloram or its equivalent. If so it will kill or damage severely anything or everything you plant in a vegetable garden. Otherwise both are good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Plant Hardiness Zone 6b - near border 6a, Heat Zone 7
Country
United States
@Chuck makes an excellent point about horse, cow, or any animal manure using hay. Picloram is not broken down through digestion or even composting manure. It's why I don't buy hay and don't bring in those manures. I have yet to come up with a decent manure alternative though.

Ask a Question