Soil Replenishment in drought and high heat and high humidity

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@Meadowlark, you had me looking into Sunn Hemp and mentioned that we need to stay above about 60 F. Today we won't even hit 60 F as a high but we're finally getting some rain.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
@Meadowlark, you had me looking into Sunn Hemp and mentioned that we need to stay above about 60 F. Today we won't even hit 60 F as a high but we're finally getting some rain.

I wouldn't give up on it so easy, Mr. Yan. That quote of mine was to reach the 10 to 12 ft. level in growth according to my research. Many northern areas can get 4 ft and above.

Related research:

4. Which plant hardiness zones are suitable for growing sunn hemp?

Although sunn hemp is of tropical origin, it has been cultivated in temperate zones as far north as Washington state.

SS-AGR-444/AG443: Questions and Answers for Using Sunn Hemp (Crotalaria juncea L.) as a Green Manure Cover Crop (ufl.edu)

"only need 8 to 12 weeks of frost-free growth conditions to receive these results"

It is fantastic stuff...so far in my experience which granted is limited. I'm using it every chance I get.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks so tempting, but this is England. This year it would have done great, really hot and dry for weeks on end, but I bet if I planted it next year we would have a long, cold, wet summer :(

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
A couple of more points from the above reference:

2. Why grow sunn hemp as a cover crop?

Sunn hemp is used to increase rotational crop yields and reduce invertebrate pest pressure. Sunn hemp residue adds nutrients and organic matter to the soil and may enhance soil microbiota. Most studies of vegetables planted after sunn hemp have found increased vegetable yields. Sunn hemp also suppresses weeds and nematodes. Its residue contains plant defense compounds, called allelochemicals, that inhibit or delay germination of weed seeds and the life cycle of nematodes.

15. Can I use sunn hemp as mulch?

Sunn hemp has good potential as mulch when grown in proximity to its use location, such as between vegetable beds or fruit tree rows. Sunn hemp is best planted and mulched where suppression of weed seed germination is desired and small-seeded crops are not seeded with direct exposure to the sunn hemp residue.

I'm definitely going to grow some just for mulch...in fact am doing so right now. The weed suppression factor is impressive.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
With the Sunn Hemp going to seed, I decided to harvest it earlier than planned. It reached a height of about 10 ft and started producing yellow flowers. Now its lots and lots of green manure to be composted and disced into the soil.

Sunn Hemp 22 23.JPG

sun hemp shredded.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Rince and repeat... I thought I'd dust off this old thread since the heat and humidity conditions are somewhat extreme across much of the Midwest USA and especially here in East Texas where it is 100/100 every day now.

Sunn Hemp planted in tired soil loves the heat...the hotter the better. This patch will be 10-12 ft tall in two months...when it will be shredded.

sunn hemp.JPG

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Certainly not in Ohio. Perhaps in a tropical environ I could see it that way, but here in Texas it has not been a problem at all.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I've always understood too much Nitrogen is bad.

How much is too much, according to what you have always understood? Does it matter if it is organically generated or synthetic, according to what you have always understood?

And also wondering if you let this bloom will it mess up Hemp grown for THC?

I have absolutely no idea nor concern if its blooms "mess up Hemp grown for THC. "

However, if you are concerned you might find these links helpful in answering your question:

"Sunn hemp (Crotalaria juncea) is an annual plant of the pea family. It is native to the Indian subcontinent, where it has been cultivated since prehistoric times. Sunn hemp is grown for its high-quality fiber, as a green manure, as a soil improver, and as a disease break in cereal or other crop rotations. It is not a true hemp."

Sunn hemp does not produce cannabinoids while hemp does.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/AG443

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok so I don't believe it has a problem.

I know many around here grow in the brush and if someone has a Male it will pollinate every plant within 5 miles.

So they have seeds and less THC.

Most were cooking Meth but I think some went to Fentanyl.

Had a Meth Cooker blow a place up close to me. Best eating place around they burnt it cooking Meth. Couldn't figure out why Campers were being harassed regular. Asked about it. Seems some would catch the wind right and go into the brush and cook.

Me I'm on heavy doses of Hydrocodone and now keep it locked.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think the name 'sun hemp' merely refers to a superficial similarity and they are quite different families of plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Another thread that shows the huge differences in cultivation caused by different climates:
summer is our main growing season in the UK, & cover crops tend to have to be winter hardy, whilst in Texas, you use cover crops which have to be heat tolerant in order to get through your summer, where not much grows!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another thread that shows the huge differences in cultivation caused by different climates:
summer is our main growing season in the UK, & cover crops tend to have to be winter hardy, whilst in Texas, you use cover crops which have to be heat tolerant in order to get through your summer, where not much grows!
I thought this when Meadowlark said corn was the most rewarding vegetable. I find it hard to grow, even using special varieties, and not worth the effort when so much better cheap corn is imported from Spain and the south of France

Ask a Question