Soil Replenishment in drought and high heat and high humidity

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I thought this when Meadowlark said corn was the most rewarding vegetable. I find it hard to grow, even using special varieties, and not worth the effort when so much better cheap corn is imported from Spain and the south of France
Oliver, we manage to grow corn with no difficulty in our West of Scotland climate. If you get the right variety - shorter season/cooler climate it grows great. We use golden bantam. There is absolutely nothing that tastes as good as freshly cut corn. You litterally need to have your water boiling before you cut the corn to get it at it's best!

I think it looks amazing - corn, sunflowers and squash together just makes me feel happy. Like something out of the Hobbiton garden in Lord of the Rings!!

But I agree not a cover crop as you do need to protect it from wind etc. But ours does fine in one of our raised beds in a fairly sheltered spot. For cover crop I've had very good results with field beans (and of course clover).

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Another thread that shows the huge differences in cultivation caused by different climates:
summer is our main growing season in the UK, & cover crops tend to have to be winter hardy, whilst in Texas, you use cover crops which have to be heat tolerant in order to get through your summer, where not much grows!
This is only partially true for my climate...while it is true that heat tolerant cover crops are incredibly effective here, cold tolerant cover crops are equally effective at soil building, weed control, disease prevention, crop rotation, etc. For example, clovers, small cereal grains, alfalfa are all an integral part of my winter program. The key I believe is to never leave your soil "fallow" no matter what the climate deals out.

p.s. my little demonstration of the application of the growing techniques I use to small scale growing is coming along very nicely. I just performed the first "mowing" of the "Headfullofbees" tub today and expect to "mow" again about every three weeks or so until frost carefully letting the cuttings fall back into the soil to rebuild it. Soil test for results which I hope/expect are "No N-P-K required."

Before "mowing":

small scale 3.JPG

After "mowing":

small scale 4.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here we get our Crop out of the garden and plant Winter Wheat.

I'm wondering if I can put other on top of my Cover Crop like Wood Ash, Leaves and Chicken manure and Spade it in, in the Spring.

Thinking of some Lime too.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the name 'sun hemp' merely refers to a superficial similarity and they are quite different families of plant.
I'm thinking the same they don't even look close.

Seen some Buckwheat planted for Cover Crop. No it didn't look like Wheat.

Nothing fancy about me I was a Seedsman for years. Spent many years teaching College Kids.

Now I work for Federal Government and Weed is legal here. Been telling Growers to get their permit.

Use to work in Texas and to me the soil is better than here. I worked from Mc Allen to El Paso.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oliver, we manage to grow corn with no difficulty in our West of Scotland climate. If you get the right variety - shorter season/cooler climate it grows great. We use golden bantam
Thinking about it I guess it could be forty years ago or more since I gave up trying with corn, probably time I tried again, I'll see if I can get some seed from those varieties you mention. Having lived and worked in Spain in my youth I have to agree fresh corn is the bee's knees. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been watching Monty Don and it seems strange starting Corn inside.

Some things are the same as us and others we have to realize they are dealing with weather.

Hardest place ever for me was in the Colorado mountains.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some things are the same as us and others we have to realize they are dealing with weather.
We are a bit further North, but the biggest thing is that we are an offshore island, so we are affected by Atlantic weather. My parents had a lot of continental friends from France, Germany, Austria etc. , and as Dad used to say to them, "Continental countries have climates, we have weather". You can never be certain what will happen next.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
One of the very easiest ways to replenish soil during the height of summer when not much else grows is with field (cow) peas. If you don't harvest them (or harvest very little) and instead shred them, they provide about 45 pounds of Nitrogen per acre. In addition, if mature when shredded, they will reseed even thicker than initially planted providing a weed free canopy while soil building. It's like a miracle to me.

Anyone can do this...small space or large space. I have completed up to four cycles of peas in one growing season...plant, grow, shred, grow shred, grow shred, and grow shred. This adds tremendous organic matter to soil all during a time (here at least) when not much else grows. If you doubt the effacy of this run soil tests before and after. You don't need exotic cover plants...just old fashioned cow peas will do wonders to tired soil and especially soil needing organic matter.

Here is my first cycle of shredded peas this summer in a row that will house most of my winter veggies later. After the cycles are complete, this row will be "No N-P-K required."

First shredding June 16:

peas.JPG

Six days later June 22, the reseeding on second cycle is well underway.

peas 2.JPG

For about $5 in seed, zero synthetic fertilizers, zero insect sprays, zero problems this row will be completely replenished by the time fall planting time rolls around again. Let Nature work for you instead of you working against Nature.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Awesome farming Meadowlark. I know alfalfa attracts lots of beneficial insects, does that hemp attract moths, butterflies etc.? You did all that without irrigation?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
does that hemp attract moths, butterflies etc.? You did all that without irrigation?

I use it in the very hottest part of summer, and we don't seem to get much butterfly activity at that time. Yes, I have to use a sprinkler system as during the summer it is not only hot but very dry and humid at the same time. Thanks for your comments.

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few short years ago, this section of my growing area wasn't farmed.
It was just poor yellow Kentucky clay. Now I've turned it into this with Clover, Alfalfa and and a few other cover crops.
With cover cropping and rotation, I can grow any veggie with tremendous success now in what used to be a poor clay weed patch.

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_203041694_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230617_203041694_HDR.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 7

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...With cover cropping and rotation, I can grow any veggie with tremendous success now in what used to be a poor clay weed patch.
Whole heartedly agree...too bad so many people ignore and/or reject these time-honored techniques or simply dismiss them.

Works in Kentucky; works in Texas and works anywhere a garden can be grown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A few short years ago, this section of my growing area wasn't farmed.
It was just poor yellow Kentucky clay. Now I've turned it into this with Clover, Alfalfa and and a few other cover crops.
With cover cropping and rotation, I can grow any veggie with tremendous success now in what used to be a poor clay weed patch.
Looks great. I'll sow crimson clover in my garden about early September and then let the chickens eat and poop in it over the Winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
Random sun hemp ? in colder climates could you keep this growing until it gets cold, and the cut down and turn?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Random sun hemp ? in colder climates could you keep this growing until it gets cold, and the cut down and turn?
Yes, absolutely. I have done it here as summer goes into fall. However, just my personal research and experiments, I have found that actually turning the cover, like Sunn Hemp, GREEN into the soil is much more effective than frost and cut and turn.

Right now, that area of Sunn Hemp I showed in photo earlier in this thread is targeted to continue growing up until about Sept. 15 when we normally start getting somewhat cooler weather (less than 100 deg f). It is my plan to turn that under GREEN at that time and then plant alfalfa there as a cover which will remain in place until next spring. I have the alfalfa seed ready to go. I am very anxious to see the soil test next spring from this little study. I predict it will break all my records for "No N-P-K required" and nutrient density. I have never coupled two successive cover crops together like this before and I expect spectacular results. I could probably sell bags of this stuff as a "super soil" because it will be that powerful if things go as expected...but as you know in gardening often, they don't.

Ask a Question