Is granulated cork usable as a soil substitute?

Gary English

Juicyousiguy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Egypt
I've recently come into possession of enough granulated cork to fill a very small plant pot (Image attached to show size of said pot). I also recently realized I kind of enjoy gardening. I want to know if its even remotely possible to use granulated cork in place of soil, and if so, what could I plant in it? I live in the 2nd floor of an apartment building and I have other, bigger pots and more cork.

20220610_141639.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wouldn't think so. Cork has no NPK and only minute quantities of trace minerals. It is also impervious to water meaning that there would be no water retention. It is also anti-microbial and plants need soil microbes in order to uptake nutrients. It MIGHT be ok as a mulch for potted plants but there are other much better materials than cork for this.

Gary English

Juicyousiguy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Egypt
I wouldn't think so. Cork has no NPK and only minute quantities of trace minerals. It is also impervious to water meaning that there would be no water retention. It is also anti-microbial and plants need soil microbes in order to uptake nutrients. It MIGHT be ok as a mulch for potted plants but there are other much better materials than cork for this.
I see. Thank you. In that case, should I just find some soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea what is available in Egypt, but a nursery should be able to sell you bagged top soil and compost at a reasonable price. The advantage is you know there are the right sort of nutrients and organic material in it to get started, and it is sterile so you are not introducing lots of weed seeds. 'Just find some soil' sounds like you may be about to raid the local derelict lot, maybe that's a wrong assumption.
The was a lady on TV tonight who is converting derelict places into pleasant areas and has a group of other ladies who work with her. A lot of them are in your position of not having a garden of their own. She asks permission of the owners, and is very persistent apparently, but I have also heard of people who simply tidy up waste ground and plant stuff, guerrilla gardeners.

Gary English

Juicyousiguy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Egypt
I have no idea what is available in Egypt, but a nursery should be able to sell you bagged top soil and compost at a reasonable price. The advantage is you know there are the right sort of nutrients and organic material in it to get started, and it is sterile so you are not introducing lots of weed seeds. 'Just find some soil' sounds like you may be about to raid the local derelict lot, maybe that's a wrong assumption.
The was a lady on TV tonight who is converting derelict places into pleasant areas and has a group of other ladies who work with her. A lot of them are in your position of not having a garden of their own. She asks permission of the owners, and is very persistent apparently, but I have also heard of people who simply tidy up waste ground and plant stuff, guerrilla gardeners.
Well, its not really like I need a full bag of soil, I only have fairly small pots. Is it possible to get small bags of soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is here, you find big bags in nurseries and small ones in general stores more here. The nursery was selling 50 liter bags, pound shop 10 liter bags a little while ago, they worked out almost the same price when I did the math.

Gary English

Juicyousiguy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Egypt
It is here, you find big bags in nurseries and small ones in general stores more here. The nursery was selling 50 liter bags, pound shop 10 liter bags a little while ago, they worked out almost the same price when I did the math.
I see. Thank you!

Ask a Question