Herbicide contamination in bagged soil/compost (Texas)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I reeeally try to be wary of the internet rabbit hole that one can fall into researching plant issues… but this one is ringing a lot of bells. I’m wondering if the hay that was fed to the cows that produce the manure which went into my compost and bagged soil was contaminated with aminopyralid (Grazon).

This has apparently become a phenomenon in the past couple years with hay, specifically gulf coast Bermuda. The herbicide can last through cattle digestion and composting remaining in the compost for up to 18 months.

From the moment I begin planting in either my soil or compost (before the skyrocketing temperatures), my plants became either stunted or deformed. Mind you these brand new transplants, brand new soil, watering enough to stay moist. I had not discovered or researched any fertilizers at this point. (Pictures below)

If you look at the reviews for this particular soil, the ones in the past year all say the same thing, that their plants are stunted. Very interesting coincidence. Does anyone have any knowledge, or opinions, or personal experience with this topic?

For some info on the topic, open this article and scroll to the middle of the page where it says “Herbicide Residue”

F4D9CF42-E4F3-4667-BCC0-2AE8DDDF8F81.jpeg

8B1CEE8E-A508-420A-84DC-9C10D0732E54.jpeg

2EFB97B3-3620-40ED-9DE6-CC6ABD79D22C.jpeg

5CB70D43-E4A9-49E9-A5A2-8F70821A371A.jpeg

C480872B-6603-462E-BFED-64137C622798.jpeg

62C89CC2-DEFA-4D39-B134-D173EF725142.jpeg

9BF5BA5B-72CA-4F68-AE8F-26D3C53925B3.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nope. I do not see the characteristic stair stepped cellular structure in new growth but you say they are fresh transplants? It takes a couple weeks at least to show up or mine did anyway. I had the problem with bagged kow compost from lowes one year and its really obvious. Your plants do not look herbicidal. Chlorotic yes. That gentle upcurl is a stress sign. More details?

Screenshot_20220626-220057.png

The differences seem dramatic compared to your pictures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Whewww… I really hope you’re right. I’m just not sure how common these warped leaves are. The pepper plants were definitely way stressed from bug damage and then getting cut back to the stem.

By “new transplants” I mean I bought them from a nursery and they looked healthy. Then after 20 days there was only 1-2 inches of growth (though after a bit more experience transplanting I’m realizing this may have been a normal amount). I’m actually looking through old pictures right now, and I think the only plants that didn’t move were the waterlogged zucchini/cucumbers, so I think you’re right. Heat stress and other stressors can cause leaves to warp and grow funky like that? Not just curl, but literally grow deformed?

Edit: BTW the last two pictures in my original post are seedlings grown in the latest and greatest container mix ratio (courtesy of Mr. @Chuck !). They’re actually doing really really well, but I wasn’t sure about the pepper seedlings (second to last picture). But man… it is HOT down here, they get sun till about 1pm, and they still wilt. Capping out at 102degF right now. Could that be causing the leaves to warp like that?

Last edited:

Ask a Question