Soil Replenishment in drought and high heat and high humidity

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes I would say that is a good job as it being as green, tall and girthy as it is. Hard to imagine any thing else adding that much nitrogen as a cover crop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I grow crimson clover cover as my cover crop in the winter while letting the chickens forage and crap in mine. Seems to work for me. I don't have any baseline nitrogen numbers to compare anything to except what I have to add synthetically through drip lines while my garden grows, which I'm still trying to peg down. What I end up doing won't exactly match what anyone else does cause everyone does things different, but I like to see how everyone else does things so I can ajust if need be.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I so wish I could also use that "best practice", i.e. "letting the chickens forage and crap in mine. " Just too many predators and too much logistics at my location.

However, I augment my cover crops, especially the winter ones with home grown, home composted pure cow manure. That really works for me.

compost 2022.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Im interested in seeing the full soil test report. Can you post that? Before and after results?

If you want to see mine, I'll post mine.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Im interested in seeing the full soil test report. Can you post that? Before and after results?

If you want to see mine, I'll post mine.

I tried to do that but couldn't post the PDF file here. Suggestions?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I found this interesting info from the soil tests.

Nutrient Density

Before replenishment:

Medium High​

66%​

After Sunn Hemp replenishment:

High​

94%​

What is Nutrient Density?

Nutrient density is the amount of select nutrients, or the nutritional content, found within a known amount of food. Nutrient dense crops are the desired outcome simply because the nutritional value per unit of food is greater in nutrient dense crops, increasing the nutritional quality of the food produced. Nutrient dense crops have also proven to have a health benefits, a longer shelf life, greater yield and density, highly intense flavors, and a greater resistance to disease and pests.

Multiple studies conducted to determine the nutritional content of crops indicate that, over the last 50 years, the nutrient density of food has fallen considerably. The depletion of nutrients in soils over time, without appropriate replenishment, has led to a decline in nutrients present in crops and thus caused a decline in dietary nutrients in humans. Consequently, more food must be eaten to get the same nutrients in sufficient amounts as compared to our ancestors. Given the current and escalating threat of food insecurity, malnutrition, and obesity this is a gravely concerning issue. Maximizing the biological potential of plants in order to produce abundant, nutrient rich, healthy food to eat is the main objective when growing a garden. A well fed, high functioning garden produces nutrient dense crops with a larger volume of vitamins, minerals, nutrients and antioxidants in nutritionally beneficial ratios. If we are to improve human health around the world, we must improve soil health, and by extension increase the nutritional value of the food we eat. Understanding the influence of soil on your plants and managing the soil for quality over time is crucial to enhancing the nutritional potential and capacity of your plants.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Did you add potassium or something? It went way up.
The only difference is the 8 weeks of Sunn Hemp growth shredded into the soil.

Notice also the Iron went up considerably. Could be difference in soil sampling. I have noticed in the past one test can have strange readings on a given nutrient.

I'm not sure why the Sunn Hemp would increase potassium, but I'm also not at all concerned for the root crops that will come from that area next spring.

p.s. What did you think of that "Nutrient Density" before and after?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is mine from last year.

SoilTest.jpg

My test doesn't test for nitrogen as you can see. Not sure why they dont. I have the little pills and vials that can check it as high, medium, or low but I don't worry much about it myself since I water and fertilize through a dripline and can adjust it.

I'm not sure how your test figured up the optimal K, Ca, Mg but with my test it is not a static number. Those hinge of the cation exchange capacity number. I don't see that on your test. Here is some reading that explains better than I can.

Also as you can see and @Chuck will like this too, my soil is loaded with calcium and magnesium but I still have blossom end rot problems with the first set fruits, then it just goes away. I think because I push the nitrogen a little too high but I'm not positive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
p.s. What did you think of that "Nutrient Density" before and after?
I don't see the nutrient density on the test. Not sure I understand what they are getting at but isn't that the nutrients that go into say a potato to consume and the nutrients have to be in the ground which is what the soil test is about.

I don't know how they came up with a percentage number. Maybe they are referring to the amount of nutrients that you added to the soil because they were a little low such as the sulfur and iron?

Something else I don't see is the organic matter. Which I'm sure you added alot of.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The nutrient density is behind a button on next page...which you can't see photo.

I found that extremely interesting and I want to do more reading on the subject specifically "Multiple studies conducted to determine the nutritional content of crops indicate that, over the last 50 years, the nutrient density of food has fallen considerably. The depletion of nutrients in soils over time, without appropriate replenishment, has led to a decline in nutrients present in crops and thus caused a decline in dietary nutrients in humans. "

Very much exactly why I believe so strongly in soil replenishment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The nutrient density is behind a button on next page...which you can't see photo.

I found that extremely interesting and I want to do more reading on the subject specifically "Multiple studies conducted to determine the nutritional content of crops indicate that, over the last 50 years, the nutrient density of food has fallen considerably. The depletion of nutrients in soils over time, without appropriate replenishment, has led to a decline in nutrients present in crops and thus caused a decline in dietary nutrients in humans. "

Very much exactly why I believe so strongly in soil replenishment.

I agree.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here we go again... Next year's onion and potato harvest will come from this area which had corn and okra previously this year.

Sunn hemp broadcast seed a week ago and it almost immediately sprang to life. It will be over 10 ft tall, with zero weeds, by the end of this October. Onion planting will commence in early Nov. pending availability of plants.... potatoes next Feb.

onion potato 2023.JPG

Ask a Question