Smoked out of my garden

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The smoke from the forest fires is so bad I can't work in my garden. My eyes are burning and I am getting short of breath just walking. There isn't a cloud in the sky but it looks like a rainy day from the smoke blocking the sun.

PXL_20230606_133906959.MP.jpg

PXL_20230606_133931163.MP.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Isn't it early for fires? Has it been dry?
It's been dry from no rain but we normally don't get them here. I've never experienced one here. Same with the massive fire in Halifax. And fires all over Quebec. It's not normal at all.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
That pic I took is on the Ottawa River. It's about 80km from the nearest forest fire but there are so many it's just engulfed with smoke here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@pepper chances are I'm not all that far from you - call it less than the width of Texas. Looks like you're on or near a mid-size lake there.

Are you having to start thinking of evac routes?

We don't have the fires (yet) but we're getting crispy here. There are several fires around Michigan but not too local to us. About 1/4" of rain for the month of May and we average 4" of rain in May. I think most of Ontario has been about the same as us.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@pepper chances are I'm not all that far from you - call it less than the width of Texas. Looks like you're on or near a mid-size lake there.

We don't have the fires (yet) but we're getting crispy here. There are several fires around Michigan but not too local to us. About 1/4" of rain for the month of May and we average 4" of rain in May. I think most of Ontario has been about the same as us.
It's the Ottawa River, not a lake.. just a bay on the river. I live about 2 minutes away from it. The smoke is mostly coming from Quebec across the river but there are a bunch of fires here too in Ontario. Normally it is raining here almost non stop until June but not this year.

Reaction score
Country
Canada

You are probably thinking of Centennial lake in the bogie area. It's also on fire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
You are probably thinking of Centennial lake in the bogie area. It's also on fire.
Frankly I've been heads down and concentrating on things very local and didn't even know Eastern Canada was burning until today. Friend of mine was planning a camping trip arcing from West Michigan to Nova Scotia and PEI.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Frankly I've been heads down and concentrating on things very local and didn't even know Eastern Canada was burning until today. Friend of mine was planning a camping trip arcing from West Michigan to Nova Scotia and PEI.
Best to skip Halifax. But ya I've been not paying much attention until the haze rolled in. I woke up thinking the house was on fire because all I could smell was smoke.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@pepper, have conditions improved at all for you?

I may have a quick trip to Montreal and checked their weather. There is rain in the forecast for all of the next 5 days per WeatherUnderground but overall not much total accumulation called for.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It is much better then it was when I posted this. My guess is because the winds picked up a bit and took the smoke somewhere else. There has been rain on and off but not enough to put out a camp fire let alone a forest fire. I don't think the air quality will be too bad in Montreal for your visit. Hope you enjoy your time there. Don't forget to pick up some some local cheese curds and poutine! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can see haze or smoke in the mountains or very far off and can occasionally smell it where I am. Today was negligible.

Ask a Question