Back on the forum, if not in the garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been having a nasty experience, my foot started hurting and changing colour and I thought it was a bit of a flare of my GPA (Vasculitis). As it happened I had an appt. with the consultant at Guys and m local A&E said "Leave it a couple of days, it won't come to any harm"
Wrong, as soon as the consultant examined me he called an ambulance to St Thomas' and wrote them a letter to by=pass A&E and within a very short time I was being operated on by the best vascular surgeon in the country, and one of the best in the world. I had clots blocking the main artery in my leg. He went in through the groin and opened two long cuts either side of my calf to stop swelling ripping it apart, and did a superb job, His younger assistant told me later that about 25% of patients with this die and a further 65% lose a leg; I am in the 35% alive with both legs, and very chuffed.
It will be some time before I am back out there, but who would have believed it, fatty leg clots when I weigh just under ten stone, am reasonably active, and eat a pretty healthy diet. Goes to show you never can tell !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, after two weeks in hospital I can't wait fot the swelling to go down enough to get out there and at least look at it. Meantime my partner has been doing sterling work, watering greenhouses, planting out, thinning and hoeing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. Everyone said what a wonderful view I had in hospital. After two weeks on the eleventh floor overlooking Big Ben, the filthy Thames, and miles of concrete city the green garden and oak tree in new leaf look wonderful. Can't wait for the swelling to go down enough that I can get a flip-flop on and get out there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner got me a 'Post op.' shoe, really just a sole with two long velcro straps , that allowed me to go down and look. I think the first job will be tying in the grape vine, which I can do sitting down, as it is covered in flowers this year and looking like a bumper crop. However still not yet for a bit, just going and looking left me exhausted and needing a long lie down, but I SHALL get there.

Ask a Question