New to the Gardening Forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello members. I am new to this forum. I have taken over as the President of our HOA Beautification Committee - N.Myrtle Beach, SC. And I am a novice to this type of project, yet not unfamiliar with leading teams and groups. My main objective is ask relevant question, find useful information, review the FAQs, and hopefully find a mentor to help guide me through this new adventure. I am looking forward to working with this forum and hopefully contribute to its success.

Regards,
Tomsthumbisnotgreen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, and welcome. This is an international forum, so I had never heard of an HOA beautification committee, a quick look at Google has enlightened me a little. Enhancing the environment for people sounds like a really enjoyable remit with lots of opportunity for innovation and imagination. It's encouraging to see you reaching out. Do let us know about the particular as it comes up, I am sure I am not the only one who will be interested.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you.
The Home Owners Association (HOA) is a voluntary group (President, Vice President, Recording Secretary, Treasurer, Member at Large) that has support committees, e.g., Beautification, Social. Our area of the community is missing the "wow" factor, therefore the desire to help and take on a new project. First order of business is to learn about soil types, pH levels, fertilizer, and Crepe Myrtles.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One bit of advice I usually give to new gardeners is go for cheap plants. People charge for plants according to how difficult they are to propagate, not their quality of manufacture like most things. This usually also relates to how difficult they are to grow. Something cheap that grows and propagates easily can be just as good in terms of appearance as something difficult and expensive and will probably cope well with a larger variety of conditions.

Testing for ph levels can be deceptive, you get a small sample from a localised area, I tend to look at what does well locally and go by that. Same with soil types, best way to find out is to put a spade in. The overall area may be acid clay, but if someone knocked down a wall and filled the bit you are going to plant with lime mortar ... Geological surveys can be deceptive.

Things that grow up things hide them and transform them and can blur the edges of a small enclosed area, they are some of my favourites for overall effect.

Edit, don't forget smell, people get carried away with visual appearance, sight is so dominant, but a good scent stays with you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
LouisFerdinand, no flower gardens at this time, yet that is a great idea. And I am going to add it to the Plan Of Action (POA) for our community. The more I think about this idea the better I love it.
Thank you.

Oliver, great advice, especially to a novice. And now I will never forget the smell factor as well.
Thank you.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

Ask a Question