Sick Golden Delicious Apple Tree

Reaction score
I've had this apple tree for about 8 years. I always get small apples on it. I've tried pruning it back, spraying it, and fertilizing it.
In the spring I used 10-10-10 fertilizer. I dug holds around the tree and filled the holes with the fertilizer.
I've had this marks on the leaves for the past 2 seasons. I'm also starting to loose the leaves already. This happen last year as well.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20140720_111011_259.jpg
    IMG_20140720_111011_259.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_20140720_111023_422.jpg
    IMG_20140720_111023_422.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_20140720_111029_692.jpg
    IMG_20140720_111029_692.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 426
Reaction score
Is that a certain kind of fungus? I don't think a fertilizer will help. You need to stop the fungus or infection first. I am not that knowledgeable about trees. I know that there are several members on here that can answer.

Reaction score
Is that a certain kind of fungus? I don't think a fertilizer will help. You need to stop the fungus or infection first. I am not that knowledgeable about trees. I know that there are several members on here that can answer.

Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
@Chuck , do you know what is causing the sick tree? I know you helped me before with my plum tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've had this apple tree for about 8 years. I always get small apples on it. I've tried pruning it back, spraying it, and fertilizing it.
In the spring I used 10-10-10 fertilizer. I dug holds around the tree and filled the holes with the fertilizer.
I've had this marks on the leaves for the past 2 seasons. I'm also starting to loose the leaves already. This happen last year as well.

Thanks
what is your location

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm in Northern Illinois. I'm not sure what is the cause of the sickness.
I am pretty sure what you have is called Cedar Apple Rust. We have something similar in Texas or we had until everybody stopped trying to grow apples. Google it. There is a lot of info

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Thanks
Besides being small is there any damage to the fruit? What did you spray with and what happemed?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You don't think it's leaf blister mites?
Possibly but I am leaning toward Rust because of the timeline of 2 years and because the poster said he "sprayed". I presume with insecticide and blister mites aren't resistant to insecticides yet. Could be though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I sprayed it with Bonide. Fruit Tree Spray.

Would you recommend something else?
This is puzzling. Bonide is listed for Cedar Rust, mites, aphid and black rot. The symptoms shown in the pics of the leaves could be either mites, cedar rust or black rot. Was the fruit damaged and if so what did it look like?

Reaction score
The fruit was small and it had yellow spots on it. I haven't sprayed with the Bonide this year yet because I wasn't sure if it was the right stuff. I don't have the mixing instructions for it either. If you know how much you are supposed to mix per gallon or quart, I will use it.

Reaction score
I am so glad you asked this question. I feel good trying to save a fruit tree. That is so silly, but I knew there were great people here to help. TaDa! I hope it gets better soon!

Reaction score
Thanks for your help on this topic. You don't happen to know what ratio the concentrated mix to water should be, do you?

Ask a Question