Sick Golden Delicious Apple Tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for your help on this topic. You don't happen to know what ratio the concentrated mix to water should be, do you?
The fruit had tiny yellow spots? If so that is great news. It is mite damage and easily cured. I am going to tell you how to fix the problem the Organic way. Did you know that you cannot eat an apple that has been sprayed with Bonide within 15 days of spraying? I also see you have a childs slide next to this tree. If you adhere to the following directions you will have a safe crop of Large Apples next year.

It is too late in the year to do much of anything now. The leaves will be dropping fairly soon anyway. Keep the leaves raked up and BURNED. All of them. If you have mulch under the tree remove and burn it as well. After this is done apply 4 lbs of good Organic fertilizer (no chemicals) per every inch of the diameter of the tree, out to and a little past the drip line of the tree. Re-apply a good hardwood mulch about 3 inches deep out to the dripline.

Next spring before the buds start to show but not in freezing weather spray the entire tree heavily with NeemOil @ 2 oz per gallon of water. Do this twice about 10 days apart.

When the tree has budded out but NOT bloomed spray the entire tree heavily with Spinosad @ 2 oz per gallon of water.

After the tree has fully bloomed, cut out any deadwood and open up the inside of the tree to resemble a wine glass.

An apple tree is like a peach tree, it will produce many more apples than it can properly feed and the apples must be thinned out or you will once again have a bunch of small apples. Thin them out by about 30%. Re-apply the organic fertilizer at the rate of 4 lbs per inch and water in with a solution of 2 oz of molasses per gallon of water

After you have thinned out the excess apples, once again spray with the same Spinosad mixture.

During the growing season, if your tree is attacked by any kind of catepillar or insect spray with Spinosad. You can eat the fruit even if it has just been sprayed but spinosad tastes terrible so rinse your apple off. After a few hours you can't taste it but it is safe.

Reaction score
Chuck,
Thanks for the tips that is very helpful. I will take your advise and I look forward to a good crop next year.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hope the tips work! Please do report back and let us know how you get on (y)

Ask a Question