Sick cherry tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
This weeping Cherry tree is three years old. Its done well until this spring, it barely blossomed and only on a handful of branches.

Now the grafted branches are not having green leaves. The tree appears to have plenty of life to it as there are many new branches coming off the trunk. I suppose the life force needs to go somewhere.

The question is, .. will the grafted branches come back next year or are they dead?

Thanks all.
cherry tree.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This weeping Cherry tree is three years old. Its done well until this spring, it barely blossomed and only on a handful of branches.

Now the grafted branches are not having green leaves. The tree appears to have plenty of life to it as there are many new branches coming off the trunk. I suppose the life force needs to go somewhere.

The question is, .. will the grafted branches come back next year or are they dead?

Thanks all.View attachment 23932
Scratch the bark on the affected limbs. If any green color is showing the limb is still alive. If brown it is dead. Also on the dead looking limbs if you can snap off the limb tips and they are brittle it is dead or dying. If there is any green go buy a product named SuperThrive and use according to directions. A question: Are the limbs grafted to the trunk or is the trunk itself grafted onto the rootstock?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The limbs are grafted to the trunk, but alas are also brown and brittle. Snap like kindling..which Ii suppose is all they are good for.

The trunk is sprouting limbs like crazy but they do not seem to be cherry. Can they graft cherry limbs on other trees ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did a little research and found that these weeping cherries are grafted on to either Mazzard or Mahaleb cherry tree trunks. I cant really find if these trees bloom pink, white or..not at all.

Im wondering if I can essentially start a new tree by removing the graft?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Did a little research and found that these weeping cherries are grafted on to either Mazzard or Mahaleb cherry tree trunks. I cant really find if these trees bloom pink, white or..not at all.

Im wondering if I can essentially start a new tree by removing the graft?
The rootstock is all that is still alive. Cut off the grafts and you will have a Mazzard or Mahaleb cherry tree. If they are what you want then let it grow but the growers of this tree used it as a rootstock for a reason, a strong root system.
http://www.treesofantiquity.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

Ask a Question