Should you have your own nursery bed?

Reaction score
Forget about those fancy building with glass walls and stuff. Last time I asked someone if they had a nursery bed he said it was damn too expensive. He was confusing a greenhouse with a nursery bed. But that's just what someone would want you to believe if they knew they'd lose business selling you seedlings.

Someone who's new to gardening must always choose between buying seeds or seedlings which are more expensive. So how can you avoid those extra costs?

It's rather simple. Sub-divide your garden and set aside one end as the spot where you'll have your nursery bed. Dig it up and ensure the ground is slightly elevated. Build a make-shift shade over it and your nursery bed is ready for planting.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I use deep pots for my nursery: they don't dry out quickly like seed trays and are transportable, so I can change the amount of protection the seedlings get from light/wind/cold as desired.

I find this particularly advantageous for leeks and brassicas.

Reaction score
I would love to have something like that but I don't have the space. Perhaps at some point I will have it and a greenhouse but not right now.

Reaction score
I also would love to have something like that, but right now, it's the portability of my pots that I love, as someone mentioned about theirs. the summer just kills fixed plants here. I always move them around. I may regret putting the tubs and other unmovable pots out in the sun, but we'll see. Right now I have some umbrellas from the dollar store up to help.

What I am going to try and do more now than I ever did is seed saving or using mother plants to have cuttings from. That will have to be my nursery for now.

Ask a Question