Seed storage

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What is the shelf life of most seeds like? I have used seeds from my packets a couple of years in a row, but after the second year I end up throwing the rest of the packet away thinking that there is some sort of expiration date. How many years will seeds hold up in their packets if they are kept in a cool and dry place?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The shelf life of seeds varies by type. The only way to know if seed is still viable is to perform a test. You soak the seed and place it in a zip bag with a damp paper towel just as you would when starting it normally. Leave a tiny opening for air and watch for sprouting. You're supposed to use math to get a ratio that will tell you what percentage is still viable, but I say just go for it. You can always get more if you need to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I sometimes plant really old seeds:) It's always worth a try. My aunt bought some of our seeds almost ten years ago! Nothing has happened to them, they look normal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you supposed to soak all seeds before planting them? I purchased green bean seeds yesterday and the package specifically says to soak them overnight before planting, but does this apply to most other seeds as well?

Reaction score
Are you supposed to soak all seeds before planting them? I purchased green bean seeds yesterday and the package specifically says to soak them overnight before planting, but does this apply to most other seeds as well?

Although the majority of seeds don't actually require soaking prior to sowing in order to germinate - the old trick of soaking seeds overnight - is sometimes used to speed up the germination time of seeds that are either difficult or erratic germinators or ones that would normally take a long time to germinate - the reason being - that as all seeds require moisture in order to germinate - it is thought that soaking the seeds overnight will speed up this process - as it boosts the moisture content of the seed which in turn will allow them to germinate faster - I would however just add that seeds should never be soaked for longer than 24 hours - as any longer than this will more often than not - cause the seed to rot.

However after saying that - there are some seeds that DO NEED to be pre-soaked prior to sowing - which is mainly due to the fact that - as some seeds contain natural germination inhibitors which prevent them from germinating - soaking them overnight - is the only way to get them to break their dormancy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Although the majority of seeds don't actually require soaking prior to sowing in order to germinate - the old trick of soaking seeds overnight - is sometimes used to speed up the germination time of seeds that are either difficult or erratic germinators or ones that would normally take a long time to germinate - the reason being - that as all seeds require moisture in order to germinate - it is thought that soaking the seeds overnight will speed up this process - as it boosts the moisture content of the seed which in turn will allow them to germinate faster - I would however just add that seeds should never be soaked for longer than 24 hours - as any longer than this will more often than not - cause the seed to rot.

However after saying that - there are some seeds that DO NEED to be pre-soaked prior to sowing - which is mainly due to the fact that - as some seeds contain natural germination inhibitors which prevent them from germinating - soaking them overnight - is the only way to get them to break their dormancy.

Thanks Gata, that makes perfect sense. The quicker the plant can get going and break through its little seed, the faster it will be for said plant to sprout and start really taking off. I bought some green bean seeds and those specifically say to soak in warm water overnight before sowing, but I think that I am going to wrap all of my seeds in a wet paper towel the night before growing just to speed things along here.

Ask a Question