Seed Sharing Illegal In The US

Reaction score
Country
United States
I certainly agree with the theory that it's big agra and their lobby group that has pushed this legislation on the books (nice and quietly). We already know how they have engineered seeds that force farmers to buy new seeds each growing season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's also illegal to carry certain plants over certain state lines. Seed and seedling sharing is practiced every day in every part of the country in which plants are grown. Banning the sharing of all seed would be next to impossible to enforce, however a valid point was made above about invasive plants.

Reaction score
Urgh. Stupidity. It makes sense for the big corp. though. I understand it.
Absolutely don't agree with it. Makes me want to fly over and share a bunch of seeds with everyone!
Stupidity indeed! And, this is from Congress, who is supposed to be representing the American Public, and not just the big seed companies!

I thought it odd when I heard that England would not allow a stallion to remain ungelded unless he was a purebred: I do not now if that is still true but many years ago it was. I thought it very strange that their government would reduce the amount of variety that a horse owner could enjoy.

It never OCCURRED to me that the USA would reduce our choices as to vegetable seeds! And it is absolutely pointless that they do so.

While few of us have been affected by the laws about not sharing seeds, some folks who are not very trusting of the government have gone to heirloom seeds and seed saving. That way they are always assured of a good supply of seeds.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I can find out there have been no new laws passed which specifically ban the sharing of seeds between individuals. Please find these Laws for me so I can read them. Mainly because what happens in the USA often is then done in Europe.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, But There is nothing in that article about NEW laws passed by Congress (as far as I can see) only the draconian use of already existing local ie State laws.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It is mostly through the states that this law exist. I think there are only a few states that don't have this law. I would give you the information, but it would mean me having to go to all the states and look up the law to show you, sorry... I don't have time to do that at the moment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks I was not expecting you to trawl through local laws. It was just that nothing I have read indicates that Congress has passed any new legislation which covers the whole of the USA.

Ask a Question