Seed Sharing Illegal In The US

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I watched this video I was a little shocked. It turns out that seed sharing is illegal in the US. The lawyer in this Growing Your Greens video is fighting this law.

Reaction score
Woah!!! Are you kidding me!!!! How can this be possible!! I mean, I have heard some really silly things about the law system in the US, but come on! Just the other day I read about a dad who is now in trouble because he built a fort with his children... a fort made with innocent cartoon boxes... yup, now he is being accused of having accumulated trash and blah blah blah. Now add seed sharia being illegal... wow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The children's fort was made of cardboard cartons, and in their front yard, which was against the Home Owners' Association rules, which the father had signed on to.
Seed sharing goes on all the time. I give seeds to neighbors, they give some to me, I even receive and send seeds to friends in other states. I have yet to be arrested, although check with me a few days after this post!
Growingyourgreens accepts "donations." The site also has a petition you can sign, and rails against "government intervention."
I have deep reservations about scare tactics/faux news that paints the "government" in a dark light. Sure, we all aren't thrilled with all the laws that affect us, but many of the laws are designed and passed to protect us from ourselves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had no idea that this was illegal in the United States. How can they prevent us from sharing sustainability? It's like telling us that we cannot break bread with our neighbors. I really see it as no different than have community or urban garden to help certain populations obtain fresh foods. Now, I can see it being against the homeowners association rules (don't get me started on homeowners associations). Just another ridiculous thing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had no idea that this was illegal in the United States. How can they prevent us from sharing sustainability? It's like telling us that we cannot break bread with our neighbors. I really see it as no different than have community or urban garden to help certain populations obtain fresh foods. Now, I can see it being against the homeowners association rules (don't get me started on homeowners associations). Just another ridiculous thing.
Yeah don't get me started on Homeowner's blah blah blah either! This is ridiculous! It's just another overreach of govt! I realize that some people need a nanny to protect them from themselves, but grown ups don't. I'll share whatever I please with whomever I please! If I buy it, it's mine!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen this information somewhere else that states the concern is about plants that can be non native that will destroy other plants being brought into an area get out of control. Also the tax issues.

Reaction score
I think the seed companies are behind this: if we swap seeds it cuts into their profits. As the old saying goes: "Follow the money"!

So far the only change is that seed exchanges are getting nervous because a couple of them have been shut down: individuals still openly swap seeds and I do not think the government dares to stop that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:Looks like a great way to raise funds. Don't believe it. Wonder how the funds raised were really used.:rolleyes:

Seed Savers Exchange is healthy and going strong. National Seed Swap Day was Jan 31st. Local seed swaps happen all the time and are highly advertised. They are not only advertised but there are classes on planting, propagation and keeping regional heirlooms varieties going for hard to find seeds.

There are even seed exchange libraries in many counties. Don't believe everything you read on the net:whistle:

There was two incidents where the local library (Pennsylvania and Minnesota) attempted having an exchange within the library and some board members became concerned, but this was blown out of proportion. Seed swaps are much more alive and with better participation than ever before.(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
One of those seed exchange libraries got shut down a little bit ago. It was held in the local library, and people would pick up or donate seeds as they wished. It was stopped and the patrons were told that it was illegal because nobody had spent thousands of dollars testing every variety for purity, germination, and so forth.

I am not sure if it is a Federal law or state laws, but in many areas at least it really is illegal to simply share seeds!

People still do it, of course. The laws are there, though thankfully they are not necessarily enforced.

Yet. Wait a bit!:poop:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
One of those seed exchange libraries got shut down a little bit ago. It was held in the local library, and people would pick up or donate seeds as they wished. It was stopped and the patrons were told that it was illegal because nobody had spent thousands of dollars testing every variety for purity, germination, and so forth.

I am not sure if it is a Federal law or state laws, but in many areas at least it really is illegal to simply share seeds!

People still do it, of course. The laws are there, though thankfully they are not necessarily enforced.

Yet. Wait a bit!:poop:
A repressive law is repressive even if it is not enforced.
It is repressive solely by its being, but also by the possibility of future enforcement.
I don't like the colour of your ice-cream, by the way.

Ask a Question