Seed Catalogs

Reaction score
Since it is getting colder the seed companies are beginning to get their seed catalogs ready for gardeners to mull over during the cold, drab winter days. I am a big seed catalog lover! I order catalogs to compare prices and of course see if there is anything new to catch my eye. I do try to buy only heirloom seeds most of the time so that I can save them and use them again. (So far this only works for me with flowers, can't get my veggies to cooperate!) I also order catalogs so that I can browse them sitting with my family in the living room. I know most companies now have their products online but I like to be somewhere other than in front of the computer screen all of the time.

What about you? Do you enjoy seed catalogs as well?

Reaction score
Seed catalogs are not something that I manage to get very often where I live, so have to do most of my seed shopping online, which is a bit sad, especially as they were something, I always used to look forward to receiving in the mail.:D

Would definitely agree with you, that seed catalogs are a much more pleasant way of browsing and can think of nothing better on a cold winters day, than curling up in front of the fire with a huge bunch of plant and seed catalogs and spending endless hours perusing them - especially as the fire - is in a totally separate room from where my laptop and internet connection are. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Now that I use my iPad for about everything instead of using the computer, I actually do more of my plant catalog browsing online, since i can sit in my comfy chair, and still use the iPad.
That said, I still actually like having a regular catalog to look through and decide what I want to order. As was mentioned, you can have several catalogs right there to compare prices, and then make the selection of what seeds/plants you want to get from each company. Then, I go online and order.
One of my favorite places is called directgardening.com , and they also feature catalogs from 5-6 other seed companies, so I always check their website, and then order the catalogs.
Another good place for seeds is on eBay. just put in what you are looking for (beefsteak tomatoes), and then it will show you all the offers for that kind of seeds. Once you find a good supplier, you can also visit their store, and order other seeds from them.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I like this one, http://www.chilternseeds.co.uk/

Even if you order online, they still send you the catalogue each year, pity they don't put your seed order in with it rather than charging you for the postage though.

Reaction score
@gata montes Its a shame that you don't get very many. I love to snuggle up get comfy and enjoy the catalogs. A wonderful warm fireplace on a cold day must be heaven.

@happyflowerlady I will check out the directgardening.com site. I have never thought about ebay for seeds. Have you had lots of success with this?

@zigs They charge you for their catalog? Most of ours here in the states are delivered free. You order them from their site and they will send them to you for free. I guess they use that as part of their marketing expenses. Do you find that in the UK there are more heirloom seeds rather than the other lab created seeds? Here in the states you really have to hunt for places that specifically sell heirloom seeds. One place in particular is www.rareseeds.com I enjoy browsing their catalogs!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No, I meant that they charge you postage for the seeds, then send you a thumping great catalog separately.

Lots of heirloom seed in the uk, our forum over here is actively resurecting a near extinct tomato variety, i'm involved in bringing back the rare Bridgwater Bean too :)

Reaction score
@gata montes Its a shame that you don't get very many. I love to snuggle up get comfy and enjoy the catalogs. A wonderful warm fireplace on a cold day must be heaven.

Actually your right there, its is a real shame, especially when I realized that what I should have said, was that nowadays I don't get any, which on second thoughts is perhaps not such a bad thing, as Zigs pointed out, they are not free anymore, and I would probably spend a small fortune on ordering all kinds of different plant and seed catalogs :D
It doesn't happen very often, but yes a raging hot fire on a freezing cold day is pure heaven and would be even more so, if I had some plant and seed catalogs to browse through.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They're free if you place an order, justs costs postage to get the order, if you see what I mean.

Reaction score
They're free if you place an order, justs costs postage to get the order, if you see what I mean.

Think there is something wrong with this picture :D for me anyway, as it doesn't seem to matter how much I spend, with a particular seed supplier and sometimes its quite a significant amount , but - I never ever get a thumping great seed catalog in return - oh how I wish I did:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats odd, they normally can't wait to bombard you with them :D

Reaction score
Actually your right there, its is a real shame, especially when I realized that what I should have said, was that nowadays I don't get any, which on second thoughts is perhaps not such a bad thing, as Zigs pointed out, they are not free anymore, and I would probably spend a small fortune on ordering all kinds of different plant and seed catalogs :D
It doesn't happen very often, but yes a raging hot fire on a freezing cold day is pure heaven and would be even more so, if I had some plant and seed catalogs to browse through.

LOL my list gets to be huge when I am looking all doe eyed at the wonderful plants and seeds in the catalogs..... then reality sits in and I have to pick and choose!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love seed catalogs!:) It's always so much fun to plan what to plant next year, I really enjoy doing it. Seed catalogs aren't popular here though, so we rarely get them. Most of the time, you have to go to a gardening store or browse for catalogs online.

Ask a Question