Seed Catalogs

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are like me then you cherish the information that you are able to gather from different seed catalogs. One work of art, that has been around forever and I use consistently is Harris SeedsSince 1879. It has everything seed related in a vast catalog that has stood the test of time and can be used as a standby for anybody in the seed business.
Another source that you can sift through big lists of seed items among other information is Gary Ibsen's Tomato Fest. It is an online-based catalog that is well known for sharing great information as well. It specializes particularly on heirloom tomatoes but is still helpful in many areas. These are just two that I am familiar with. Do you use any seed catalogs? If so, which ones?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love the catalogs too. Some of my favorites are: Sow True Seed, Pinetree Garden Seeds, Baker Creek, and Seed Savers Exchange.

I'll have to checkout that online catalog, the Tomato Fest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didn't realize there were that many seed catalogs. I don't usually grow anything from seed, because I never have any luck with them. I prefer plants or small seedlings that are already started. They are quite a bit easier to grow than seeds in my opinion. When you grow things from seeds you have to baby them, however, knowing about those seed catalogs is a good information to have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@kgord, you're so right about having to babying aspect, I think that's one of the reasons why I prefer that route. I just love watching the growth process!

Happy gardening to you!

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have not yet come across the need to use seed catalogues chiefly due to the fact that companies selling seeds have their own databases and advise gardeners accordingly at point of sale. However, herbariums are a good resource to have since they are more holistic compared to seed catalogues. Both should be a good project for gardeners who are venturing into wild flowers and herbs as well as hybrid sub varieties.

Ask a Question