Same crop - Same Year - Same Spot ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am learning about crop rotation, and hearing you shouldnt put the same crop (or even same family) in the same spot next year, but what about the same year ? Some of my squash has finished and I have started more and want to put them in the holes with the squash that just came out of the ground. This is in-ground, not containers... I dont think I would do it same year if it was a container.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It depends somewhat on the crop(s). Potatoes and tomatoes for example need longer times between the same soil usage. They not only are heavy feeders, but they are prone to disease problems if planted in the same spots. I like three-year rotation at least with them.

I don't like to plant squash in the same spots because of insect problems and tendency to get wilt. By rotating I just don't have squash borers etc. Now beans and peas I don't worry about rotating in fact I like them all the time because of their legume properties.

I pretty much follow the same procedures re rotation whether container or in ground. With containers, I find it helps tremendously to just change the soil out after a crop...easy to do with HK containers which have only about three shovels of dirt in them. I add compost and garden soil which is "NO N-P-K required." By changing the soil out, rotation is not required.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an allotment in the UK and I try to rotate on at least a 2 year cycle but preferably a 3 year one. My exception is my onion bed and my garlic bed. I have white rot on my plot which decimates all my alliums but by using the garlic powder method in September each year I have managed to more or less eliminate it on these 2 beds. I have just harvested 200 plus garlic and have only lost about half a dozen to white rot. Last year I harvested 300 odd onions in my onion bed and again the losses were in single figures. It may be because I seldom water my onions and garlic throughout the growing season or the fact that our UK summers are getting warmer or maybe the garlic powder method but it is succeeding for me. I add the fact that my late dad a champion onion grower always grew his onions in the same bed year in year out. Because I maximise my growing space I find it difficult to rotate my other crops any more than 3 years. I have a large strawberry bed, another large asparagus bed plus the rasberries which limits my rotation plans somewhat so I do the best that I can with pretty good results. On my site most of the plot holders grow climbing French and Runner beans in the same spot as the framework is already in place and they seem to have successive good harvests.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...my late dad a champion onion grower always grew his onions in the same bed year in year out. ...
I agree that onions are not as sensitive to rotation as other veggies. I do rotate them but more for convenience of cover crops than necessity for the onions. Ever grow a 4 pound plus onion? Ours regularly grow to exceed two pounds here and occasionally a freak shows up.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
LOL brings new meaning to the term "blooming onion"

Mmmm.. blooming onion! I am drooling now thinking about it lol 🤤

blooming-onion-FB.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I have raised beds. I do grow Potatoes in same beds in same year. Harvesting 1st round this week and will add compost and put in another potato for fall harvest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let me ask a different way... this is more talking about succession planting since we are still in the same year... If your early planting is done, do you plant the 2nd round in the same spot ? Thanks Skinyea. I am thinking of my squash and cantaloupe since the first round is done.

Ask a Question